Hidden Home Storage (Ideal hidden spots)

Homes and Retreats
ChefSimon

Hidden Home Storage (Ideal hidden spots)

Post by ChefSimon »

I have a couple of little hidden storage areas for (not so much now I've shared it haha) and I thought I would share two of them with you. Hopefully to spark some thought about storing high value items in plain view.

The Bathroom:

I've been decorating the bathroom over this last week and part of this was changing the taps on the bath to include a built in shower. After removing the siding on the bath I discovered it's actually two pieces and there is a large void space (in my case about 16 inches wide by about 18 inches high) it was just big enough to put my small safe (safe is about 1ft square with a key lock).

I managed to cut a small covert access hatch into the bath surround as it has a 14 inch square framed design on the front. I cut the middle out of the frame and fitted it with a magnetic lock.
The false front on the bath surround. The right square is the false one with the magnetic closure.
The false front on the bath surround. The right square is the false one with the magnetic closure.
The safe is secured to the floor in the void space behind the bath and is really well hidden now. It's a little fiddly reaching in to turn the key, but as it's only selected items being kept in it there is no issues regarding getting stuff in and out.

It was surprising how much space was being wasted in the void (and being honest how much still is being wasted) but it's far enough away from the bath not to be affected by any moisture etc from the bath.

The Bookcase:

The second one is under a built in bookshelf I have made in an old doorway. A few years ago when we moved in we knocked the lounge and dining room through into one large room but never got around to taking out the door as it was hidden in the lounge by a large cabinet in the dining room side.

On the outside of the door frame in the hallway there is a slight instep. As my then desk was in the hallway I fitted a set of built in shelves to put my books on. I put some skirting along the bottom to tie it in with the rest of the hall and put a floating shelf in as the bottom shelf. This has resulted in a nice hidden 'box' for storage of things.
Doorway Before
Doorway Before
During construction with the bottom floating shelf
During construction with the bottom floating shelf
Finished thing with the hidden secure storage box
Finished thing with the hidden secure storage box
So I thought I would share this with you so you can think about void spaces and secure storage.

PS I'm not sharing the bath safe ones for obvious reasons & the bathroom is still like a building site as I'm re-grouting.

I am keen to hear what other novel storage spaces people have found and are using in their own homes for their preps?
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
sethorly

Re: Hidden Home Storage (Ideal hidden spots)

Post by sethorly »

I hide all my stuff underneath my children's toys. Sorry, not meaning to derail, but it's true!
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

sethorly wrote:I hide all my stuff underneath my children's toys. Sorry, not meaning to derail, but it's true!
If it works, it works! Simple but effective. However I'm considered the kid in this relationship :lol:
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Two good tips I learnt from YouTube are concealment and decoys. For example, place £500 in cash in an old envelope with bills peaking out but put an old wallet with old cards and some loose change and cash nearby out in plain view. That way the burglar will rifle through the wallet but leave the envelope untouched.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

MJB , that reminds me of my time on building sites when it came to snagging time. The architects like to find something so an easily fixed "fault" would often leave them feeling they'd done their job but in reality they would sometimes miss other things.
Going back to hiding spaces I too have created secret storage spaces in bookcases , wardrobes , behind panelling and skirtings and have also built concealed compartments into furniture. I have mentioned before that I use plastic paint tubs too. Stored in plain view a half tub of magnolia emulsion probably wouldn't hold much allure for a would be burglar. Only real disadvantage is their shape , being round it can be awkward for some things and some space ends up wasted.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

grenfell wrote:MJB , that reminds me of my time on building sites when it came to snagging time. The architects like to find something so an easily fixed "fault" would often leave them feeling they'd done their job but in reality they would sometimes miss other things.
I used to do exactly the same with the environmental health officer, even if everything is perfect they will never leave having said nothing, so give them something to find that would take five minutes to sort out rather than leave them to think up something that will take five hours!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I have done this process myself, I've looked into dummy sockets and tins, even clocks, and have come to the conclusion that if I really want to hide something, what I have to do is scour e-bay and google, read every related thread on here, then think of something else :lol:
Another strategy which may work is to keep your place so cluttered, so untidy that you find it hard to find the good stuff yourself, I'm half way there on this one.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
grenfell wrote:MJB , that reminds me of my time on building sites when it came to snagging time. The architects like to find something so an easily fixed "fault" would often leave them feeling they'd done their job but in reality they would sometimes miss other things.
I used to do exactly the same with the environmental health officer, even if everything is perfect they will never leave having said nothing, so give them something to find that would take five minutes to sort out rather than leave them to think up something that will take five hours!
:lol: Aye, I've had similar experiences with folk inspecting work (even paperwork) where they NEED to find something so you leave them something to find. We're a funny bunch us people, playing daft games like this.
Plymtom wrote:I have done this process myself, I've looked into dummy sockets and tins, even clocks, and have come to the conclusion that if I really want to hide something, what I have to do is scour e-bay and google, read every related thread on here, then think of something else :lol:
Another strategy which may work is to keep your place so cluttered, so untidy that you find it hard to find the good stuff yourself, I'm half way there on this one.
Aye, guilty on that front too. I'll go through my stuff and get it all sorted then end up hauling it all out again to find something. My man cave is in a right state at the moment. :oops:
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:Aye, I've had similar experiences with folk inspecting work (even paperwork) where they NEED to find something so you leave them something to find. We're a funny bunch us people, playing daft games like this.
A slight tangent but a useful tip none the less, In your cluttered heaven don't panic when you cannot find something today, because you'll find it tomorrow when looking for something else :lol: I often have a good prouge around for no reason often finding things I had forgotten about.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote:
Deeps wrote:Aye, I've had similar experiences with folk inspecting work (even paperwork) where they NEED to find something so you leave them something to find. We're a funny bunch us people, playing daft games like this.
A slight tangent but a useful tip none the less, In your cluttered heaven don't panic when you cannot find something today, because you'll find it tomorrow when looking for something else :lol: I often have a good prouge around for no reason often finding things I had forgotten about.
I know what's in the garage, in the loft and scattered around the house, just not exactly where in each compartment necessarily. :? Some stuff I do but I definitely need to have another reorganisation, the problem is I keep adding stuff. As you say though its there so at some point I'll find things and its better to have them an' all that.