Helping the neighbours - in what situations....?

Homes and Retreats
BlinkingCory

Re: Helping the neighbours - in what situations....?

Post by BlinkingCory »

Our neighbour is a Prepper.
He is also a great friend.
We have an 'understanding', not just for SHTF, for day to day living too.
We exchange a lot of veg, fruit, eggs, rabbit etc.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

BlinkingCory wrote:Our neighbour is a Prepper.
He is also a great friend.
We have an 'understanding', not just for SHTF, for day to day living too.
We exchange a lot of veg, fruit, eggs, rabbit etc.
Sounds like a great situation you have there BC. I'd love to have someone nearby that is 'on the same page' as me. An instant readymade support system in place.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

I live on a block of flats (overlooked) with no garden and lots of communal areas so it would be quite hard to stay undetected for any length of time, especially if I was using light sources or cooking food (smell/smoke) when everyone else had no power, or food which they couldn't cook even if they did have it. So one of my first moves would be to take the wood burner down to the ground communal area and set up a make shirt mess tent sort of gig next to the benches. That way people could congregate and cook their tinned goods on it and it would serve as a good place for hearing gossip and information. The smell / smoke would also mask my own private stove and food supply in my apartment and would earn me some goodwill with the people around me. I'd be seen as one of them and not someone holding out on them.

This is especially important as I believe that most disasters start off gradually and get progressively worse, so it may only be a week long deal but obviously could progress into something much worse. Of course at the start of it you would have no real way of knowing so best to get in people's good books otherwise they might not be so friendly and knock down your door.

This could then develop into some sort of neighbourhood militia which could have bags of potential. For all I know there could be police, doctors, mechanics, nurses etc amongst my neighbours that could all chip in for the cause. There is strength in numbers after all and I don't believe in the lone wolf approach either. I don't think I'd want to go it by myself either as I already live by myself. You also have to consider that these are the people you will have to live with after the disaster too. Humans are social creatures after all and we're at our best when we're in groups.

So to answer the question, would I help my neighbours?

Yes, I'd stop them being burgled and I'd probably share some of my food and resources too. But I'd never let on how much stuff I had.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Reiterating my stance on this subject.My neighbour 3 doors down cannot park her 4 wheel drive to save her life.( what the hell folks want those things for if they ain't farmers...) Well,She reversed into my motor and caused about £800 damage.I saw her do it. She brazenly denied it ( I took a video immediately I saw it,the vehicles still touching and the damage to both shown) I also captured her venomous, foul mouthed rant when I confronted her about 20 seconds after the event.

I called the law,made a statement,showed em the video.They went to see her.Mainly over the foul language.Next we know,3 days later there's a knock on the door at 9pm and there's a guy telling me I should not have called the law.Threatening all sorts etc.I shut the door,Wife had called the law,and his threats were recorded by them.Apparently he was her 'partner'...news to us as she has no man there,just three kids by four dads it seems.

Anyhow,the bimbo next door is a thick as thieves with 4 wheel drive lady ( The Women of the house pointed this out to Blind Dad!) and she made a few comments too.I pointed out that the thug at my door had been spoken to by the police and any further incident may be taken further.Also,if she had a problem,that she could call the law.That shut her gob!

As I write this I have found out that she has admitted liability for the damage.

All this crap is happening in what USED to be a quiet country village.Most of my neighbours I would not even p£ss on if they were on fire.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jansman wrote:Reiterating my stance on this subject.My neighbour 3 doors down cannot park her 4 wheel drive to save her life.( what the hell folks want those things for if they ain't farmers...) Well,She reversed into my motor and caused about £800 damage.I saw her do it. She brazenly denied it ( I took a video immediately I saw it,the vehicles still touching and the damage to both shown) I also captured her venomous, foul mouthed rant when I confronted her about 20 seconds after the event.

I called the law,made a statement,showed em the video.They went to see her.Mainly over the foul language.Next we know,3 days later there's a knock on the door at 9pm and there's a guy telling me I should not have called the law.Threatening all sorts etc.I shut the door,Wife had called the law,and his threats were recorded by them.Apparently he was her 'partner'...news to us as she has no man there,just three kids by four dads it seems.

Anyhow,the bimbo next door is a thick as thieves with 4 wheel drive lady ( The Women of the house pointed this out to Blind Dad!) and she made a few comments too.I pointed out that the thug at my door had been spoken to by the police and any further incident may be taken further.Also,if she had a problem,that she could call the law.That shut her gob!

As I write this I have found out that she has admitted liability for the damage.

All this crap is happening in what USED to be a quiet country village.Most of my neighbours I would not even p£ss on if they were on fire.
Sorry to hear you've got the sort I thought were restricted to inner cities Jansman, like I've said we keep ourselves to ourselves, but I'm pretty sure half of my street are lie your newbies or worse, good luck, I hope they bugger off.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:Reiterating my stance on this subject.My neighbour 3 doors down cannot park her 4 wheel drive to save her life.( what the hell folks want those things for if they ain't farmers...) Well,She reversed into my motor and caused about £800 damage.I saw her do it. She brazenly denied it ( I took a video immediately I saw it,the vehicles still touching and the damage to both shown) I also captured her venomous, foul mouthed rant when I confronted her about 20 seconds after the event.

Arseholes are arseholes mate. Sorry to hear this, especially the 'Rocky' boyfriend. This neighbour might not be the first on your list come the zombie apocalypse for a cup of sugar. :P Pleased you got it on camera, a picture says a thousand words and all that.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Got to be careful here. Bearing in mind that we are in the heart of rural England and we have a certain type of population.Said 4 wheel drive lady smokes ' Ganja' and the kind of vehicles and people that visit are ...you work it out.

The idea that SHTF the country is safer than the city is a total fallacy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh one of those jansman :evil:

Its one of those situations you want to be sat in the home with combats and a slaughter house coat on mid way through sharpening your work knives as Mr big starts up the drive and sees some nutter sharpening a meat cleaver :twisted:

Ps how's your stiff neck? ;)

Discovered one of ours has cut a wire to the CCTV illuminator recently. ....

Should have seen his face when he saw me putting the replacement cable in galvanised conduit.. Borrowed the die and stock from work to thread it

Me nonchantly blaming the tree rats ( he used to report me for shooting them and goes out of his way to feed them) mentioning that they are now fair game that they are causing damage. .. But I know they don't routinely Cary secateurs (could tell by way cable had been cut)

Keeping my powder dry and all that ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jansman wrote:Got to be careful here. Bearing in mind that we are in the heart of rural England and we have a certain type of population.Said 4 wheel drive lady smokes ' Ganja' and the kind of vehicles and people that visit are ...you work it out.

There goes a dream :(

There's a whole load of people who live on the wrong side of the law who use said law to hide behind, I'd have no time for if anything did ever happen.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:Got to be careful here. Bearing in mind that we are in the heart of rural England and we have a certain type of population.Said 4 wheel drive lady smokes ' Ganja' and the kind of vehicles and people that visit are ...you work it out.

I think its just some peoples fantasy to run off to the country and live in the woods, we just don't have the woods never mind the unwooded countryside to support us all. We'd be short of bunnies and pigeons pretty quickly and only what we could carry to support us. Bloody right the country wouldn't be safer if the SHTF.