Helping the neighbours - in what situations....?

Homes and Retreats
Deeps

Re: Helping the neighbours - in what situations....?

Post by Deeps »

Tricky wrote:Man can not live by bunny alone.
That's why they are good in a stew! ;)
You put men in stews ????? Weird. :lol:

The whole living off bunnies thing seems to have got a bit of a reputation. Its no worse than just eating lamb, or chicken or...you get the point. We're designed to eat veg as well, it doesn't sit well with some but a balanced diet is the way ahead, assuming you can manage it. The latest advice is 10 portions of fruit and veg a day if you want to seriously reduce the risks. A tall ask for most, I'm pretty good but most days I wouldn't say I eat 10 portions of veg. If all you can lay your hands on is rabbit then you'll eat rabbit but we prep so we don't have to just scrape by, unless we really really have to.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Deeps wrote:

The whole living off bunnies thing seems to have got a bit of a reputation. Its no worse than just eating lamb, or chicken or...you get the point. We're designed to eat veg as well, it doesn't sit well with some but a balanced diet is the way ahead, assuming you can manage it. The latest advice is 10 portions of fruit and veg a day if you want to seriously reduce the risks. A tall ask for most, I'm pretty good but most days I wouldn't say I eat 10 portions of veg. If all you can lay your hands on is rabbit then you'll eat rabbit but we prep so we don't have to just scrape by, unless we really really have to.
I'd take that recommendation and even the 5 a day one with a pinch of salt (They'd probably tell you off for the salt though), as the think tank/ board that sets that arbitrary number is also directly linked to the fruit and vegetable industry. simply put, it's in their interests to tell people to eat more fruit and veg, just as bottled water sellers will tell you to drink more water. Follow the money as they say.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

MBJ wrote:
Deeps wrote:

I'd take that recommendation and even the 5 a day one with a pinch of salt (They'd probably tell you off for the salt though), as the think tank/ board that sets that arbitrary number is also directly linked to the fruit and vegetable industry. simply put, it's in their interests to tell people to eat more fruit and veg, just as bottled water sellers will tell you to drink more water. Follow the money as they say.
Sorry mate, maybe I've just been too indoctrinated but there is plenty evidence to suggest that eating a balanced diet is um....healthy. I'm no fan of doctors, I've met a couple who were happy to push their personal agendas including one who couldn't see past my coughing and spluttering while running as down to me being a bit of a chunker, eventually it turned out to be 'exercise induced' asthma and I took great delight in telling the guy he was 'fattest' and giving him both barrels. Not that I think it made a jot of a difference, he had his prejudices, it did make me feel better though. Anyhoo, what are you surviving on then ? Personally I enjoy veg and if I had to pick meat or veg I'd go veg. Thankfully, I don't have to. Same with my fluid intake, I know I should drink more water and I do take in plenty of fluids but they're mostly in a vino form. It works for me though.

Despite my cynicism, I do take some advice onboard, even if its not something that resonates with me. My missus works in cancer research and knows what she's on about, she doesn't always do it herself but her knowledge is based on research she values, not research by the fruit and veg marketing board. Eat what you want mate but not everything is a conspiracy or con, if you think about it, it would make sense for the Government to get us to die early, it would save a fortune in pensions and NHS bills.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Woah, woah, woah! I'm not saying it's wrong to eat a balanced diet. You definitely should, nor is it a conspiracy either because if you think about it, every industry promotes itself. That doesn't mean they're being disingenuous, it just means they have an inherent bias just like everything else. Eating fruit and veg is good for you but eating too much of it at the expense of other things is not. As you said, it's all about balance.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I think it's pretty well proven now that sugar producers shifted the blame to fats very well for many years before even the doctors caught on. I agree a varied diet is the best way to go, I've also lived long enough to have read somewhere that pretty much everything I eat, or have eaten is bad for me in one way or another :lol:

On the OP avoiding the neighbours as long as possible still seems like the sensible option for us, ours are like Jansman's with bells on for the most part, I'd love to get out of here for somewhere detached with a garden, until then no matter how well materially we are prepared for eventualities, anything major where interaction became unavoidalbe is a bridge we won't cross unless we have to.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jansman wrote:Got to be careful here. Bearing in mind that we are in the heart of rural England and we have a certain type of population.Said 4 wheel drive lady smokes ' Ganja' and the kind of vehicles and people that visit are ...you work it out.

The idea that SHTF the country is safer than the city is a total fallacy.
On that note and knowing you're a keen gardener, I reckon if you kept the weeds down with one of these, they might leave you alone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Yvvg05Urc
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

MBJ wrote:Woah, woah, woah! I'm not saying it's wrong to eat a balanced diet. You definitely should, nor is it a conspiracy either because if you think about it, every industry promotes itself. That doesn't mean they're being disingenuous, it just means they have an inherent bias just like everything else. Eating fruit and veg is good for you but eating too much of it at the expense of other things is not. As you said, it's all about balance.
A bit more balanced post than your earlier one mate and I don't disagree. We all have a 'bias', we need to try and factor out our own sometimes before trying to filter the stuff we're being told. That's life though, using pretty much any service or buying just about anything too, companies spend a lot of money telling us their stuff is the bees knees. Same with politicians etc, sometimes it will come down to who's shouting the loudest.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Wandering totally off into a tangent here - the rabbit starvation thing would only apply if you ate roasted rabbit on its own for a long period of time. That's why we put it in stews with anything else edible, like fatty bacon and green veg.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote:
jansman wrote:Got to be careful here. Bearing in mind that we are in the heart of rural England and we have a certain type of population.Said 4 wheel drive lady smokes ' Ganja' and the kind of vehicles and people that visit are ...you work it out.

The idea that SHTF the country is safer than the city is a total fallacy.
On that note and knowing you're a keen gardener, I reckon if you kept the weeds down with one of these, they might leave you alone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Yvvg05Urc
Hell Yeah!!!! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:Wandering totally off into a tangent here - the rabbit starvation thing would only apply if you ate roasted rabbit on its own for a long period of time. That's why we put it in stews with anything else edible, like fatty bacon and green veg.
Agreed diamond lil. That is just how I understand it to be. I believe it is what Deeps would describe as a 'balanced diet '. :D

Also, regarding eating fruit and veg ( how did this thread get here?), I think it should be remembered that a very large proportion,if not majority, of the worlds population live on an exclusively vegetarian diet.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.