Is your home identifiable (stolen from the fire service)

Homes and Retreats
Yorkshire Andy

Is your home identifiable (stolen from the fire service)

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Is your property name or number visible?

27 January 2017

We at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service urge residents and businesses to ensure that their street name signs and house name or number are visible.

Is your property name or number visible?
Responding to incidents quickly and safety is of paramount importance for emergency services. Every second counts. Residents and businesses can assist emergency services by ensuring that their street sign is clearly visible, and that their property name or number can be seen from the road.

Missing or damaged signage, overgrown greenery and poor lighting are but a few reasons that an emergency response could be delayed. It is a misconception that it is only rural areas where emergency services face these type of problems; surprisingly a large proportion of urban properties are not clearly identifiable.

We ask that residents and businesses assist emergency services by taking the time to check their properties identifying signage is visible and in a good state of repair. It is best practice to install a property name or number, which is at least 3 inches in height and at least 4ft off the ground. If you live more than 75ft from a roadway, display your property details on a post box/gateway or similar. All numbers and letters should be visible from 25ft away.

If you have any concerns about the visibility of your road signage, please inform your local authority.

Top Tips:

If your business premise has multiple entrances, ensure appropriate signage is in place for all entries.
If you have external lighting near your house name or number ensure it is illuminated when it is dark.
If you have requested the assistance of the emergency service, if possible, send someone to flag them down outside your address
Knowing and being able to recite your full address including postcode, in English, is essential
Teach children their address from an elderly age
If you live off a main roadway, please provide as much detail as possible to the call handler
Be aware of your surroundings, are there any distinctive features? A post box, monument or a bridge?
If you live in a flat above a business ensure your access door has a number on it
http://www.humbersidefire.gov.uk/newsro ... er-visible

So can you read your house number from the road? if not get a nice clear house number / sign made up ;)

Another trick i was told a few years back was if your calling on any 999 service at night if you can turn all the house lights on and throw the curtains open The house lit up like a lighthouse will be very easy for the emergency workers to spot......
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Re: Is your home identifiable (stolen from the fire service

Post by jansman »

As someone who has done inner city multi drop restaurant delivery, I get this totally.Good post there Yorkshire Andy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
digi

Post by digi »

the worst ones of these are the types who give their house a name, but dont actually display it, and every other house in the street has a number on the door

part of my job is visiting numerous properties every day, and the number of times youll see something like

mrs bloggs
yew tree house
somewhere avenue
anytown

and you get to somewhere avenue, and EVERY house is numbered, 2-60 on the left, 1-59 on the right, so you drive up and down a few times, phone mrs bloggs from a witheld number 7 times before she decides to answer, and says 'oh yeh, im number 37'

WELL PUT NUMBER THIRTY FOOKIN SEVEN AS YOUR ADDRESS THEN FFS

and breath

ahhhhhhhhhh

but yes, i totally get this

(dont get me started on country farms etc with nothing at the end of a 2 mile lane they live up)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! :lol: we need a 'like' Button.!!!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

You can do all the right things, but still life conspires against you. Let's say I live at No. 5 Strange Gardens, not to be confused with the adjacent street called Strange Road. Strange Gardens has the numbers going up one side and down the other, but there are only 12 buildings on the street so there's not that many to investigate. Strange Gardens has a right-angle bend in it on which my house sits, and then it becomes Completely-Different Terrace. I have a large, stainless steel "5" on the fence at the end of my drive facing the oncoming vehicles (it's a one-way street). I have "FIVE" printed onto the transom window above my front door (visible from the road). I have a blue European style plaque next to my doorbell which says:"5 Strange Gardens". My Amazon (other mail-order companies available) address literally reads "No. 5 Strange Gardens (the house next door to No.4 NOT the flat next door to No.6)". Yet STILL my stuff gets delivered to 5 Strange Road; or 5 Completely-Different Terrace; or Flat No.5 Little Block of Flats Next Door To No. 6; or even, since the new builds half-way down Strange Road: No.5 New Row, Strange Road. Sometimes just WHERE the parcel has been delivered remains an unsolved mystery... :shock: I give my address to cabs, I tell them the number, I tell them the position of the house: "It's just on the corner, on the right, it has 5 on the fence", and they either don't make it this far down the road, or they zoom all the way round the corner like my house is invisible. :evil: In fairness, I get all the other's stuff too. Nice Indian curries, pizza, Amazon deliveries, and last week someone tried to put a skip in my front garden! At Christmas it gets really silly so I've taken to putting a notice on my door which says in large letters: "Do you really want to be here?" and underneath a map with all the other No.5s and instructions on how to get there! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Excellent advice. Acted upon.
I have ordered this, this afternoon to make it explicit.
Not Bad for £28.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slate-House-Si ... 32&sr=1-19
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/