Walls and ventilation (few questions)

Homes and Retreats
xCabalx

Walls and ventilation (few questions)

Post by xCabalx »

Hello.
I have two questions atm which some of you might be able to advise me about.

First - if I build my shelter surrounded by concrete walls, how thick they need to be to protect from radiation?
Second - do you have any advise regarding air conditioning / ventilation/ carbon dioxide filters in such shelter?
Any tested, proven-to-be-working, reliable products? Ideas?

I do apologise if that question is repetitive or placed in wrong section of this forum, but so far couldn't find more appropriate spot for it ;) .

Thanks in advance for any help!
AlwaysPrepping

Re: Walls and ventilation (few questions)

Post by AlwaysPrepping »

Hey, I have looked into this many times and the only info I can find are based on theories from the 1980's or before. With nuclear bombs being more powerful and giving off more radiation I would say it needs to be a lot thicker.

As for what I have read in many books the following materials could protect you by 50%, it goes as follows:

Iron and steel 0.7 feet
Concrete 2.2 feet
Brick 2.0 feet
Soil 3.3 feet
Ice 6.6 feet
Wood 8.8 feet
Snow 20.3 feet

Now as for a filter I don't have that info near me but I think it says more along the lines of a charcoal filter but I will try and look. It also mentions your more likely to try and keep the "BUNKER" cool with a small fan.

I hope this helps for now, ill try to get more info to you when I can.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Nuclear War survival skills can help with all your questions and can be found here as a free down Load http://www.madisoncountyema.com/nwss.pdf
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Forget air conditioning the condenser would be either blown away with the blast or fried with the emp.
Ventilation first you need the size of the building, how many people etc. Then you'll need a air scrubber/ heat exchanger to filter the air when the building is sealed from the atmosphere. When open you'll need a NBC filter system with a stack of filters and a means to dispose of the contaminated filters. Along with that you'll need a blast valve either manual or auto to stop the pressure wave damaging the air handler and filters. Along with that you'll need ducting, distribution grills and a quite substantial surface air intake / extract that would survive the blast/ shock wave .
If you want exact details ask away but that's a bit of a overview.

Jamie
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Nari70

Post by Nari70 »

It also depends if you are building it as a fallout out shelter only or for blast protection too, and that decision would depend on location. I would say option 2 makes it significantly more difficult. The book mentioned above (nwss) is the best one I have read by a mile.