Bugging in dangers?

Homes and Retreats
Jan Smits

Re: Bugging in dangers?

Post by Jan Smits »

Plymtom wrote:I know this feeling, but we don't have the health to do it, so after that amount of time we would either be making friends and mucking in, or standing our ground, the survival odds are about the same, some of us without a return to normal, or something approaching it would be screwed, it doesn't mean we wouldn't fight for survival, I wouldn't endorse bugging in in an inner city in the worse case scenarios but you do have to face facts if for whatever reason bugging out is a no can do.
Ah well the place I'm in isn't exactly known for its friendliness. There's a decent bit of community going on with the neighbours, nothing in-your-face, but no matter how well we could mobilise, there'll be bigger badder people all over this place. Short-term bugging in allows the panic to die down and there is the advantage that here will be a priority for any authorities to reinstate Rule of Law, but in the longer term out-of-here would be the place to be - I posted on another thread that moving is high on my agenda for next year, hopefully to somewhere bugging in could be more long-term.
Arzosah wrote:And this is a good point too - though I'd say *some* sort of bag will help you with the grey man approach - nothing crucial, obviously, but something. Most people will be carrying something - even if its just a fleece in a bin bag. As for the bits you really want, hidden pouches that go inside your clothes can be a start, and a gilet type thing with pockets on the *inside*, plus as many layers of clothing as you can bear to have on. With a few bits in your pockets ...
There'd be a lot of discreet curtain-twitching before making a move! My thinking is not to really want anything - if I can forage a bit, and know enough about water, that's all I'd really need to get past the worst*. I have a couple of places I can head for and caching stuff there is possible. As I say, I think moving is the most important prep I can do. I'm all for bugging in, but where to bug in is my first question.
Inside pockets are a good thing. I learned in Brazil to keep a cheap wallet with a couple of small notes in an easy to reach pocket, while the real wallet is in a secure place - if you get mugged, they get something and hopefully leave you be, but it isn't a disaster.

* Edit: of course, I'd have a few useful items, but nothing I couldn't cope without if I was parted from them.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.