Where to live post SHTF?

Homes and Retreats
Offgrid

Where to live post SHTF?

Post by Offgrid »

I’m just running scenarios through in my mind and would like to test the ideas on this forum- maybe find the flaws in my logic.
Assume economic disaster- Deusche Bank goes down (very possible) causing contagion throughout the banking system. Cash points don’t work so no access to cash. Food shops empty within 48 hours. Petrol stations close. Electricity becomes erratic then goes off altogether. Water supplies fail. Government imposes martial law and rationing without success. Violence spreads.
All possible and logical I think? Nothing so far that many people here would regard as ridiculous.
Society reverts to a dangerous and violent system, possibly similar to some areas in the Middle Ages. Where would you have some chance of security? What did medieval war lords and their followers do? They built or took over castles. Great big solid lumps of stone and mortar with high walls, battlements, moats and very restricted access to people they didn’t like.
Britain has a lot of castles and many are in very good repair. With a small amount of work they could become safe fortresses again for a determined and prepared group. Quite a few have large spaces inside the walls ideal for modern intensive food production like raised beds, aquaponics and other systems. Water is usually available onsite and they have built in accomodation.
In my area, Hampshire, I can identify at least a dozen fortifications dating from Roman to Victorian that could provide an extremely good base for survival. There are 4 within ten miles of me right now.
Assuming you had a prepared and motivated group in the scenario I mentioned taking over a historic castle would be quite easy. The caretakers and staff would probably have already left to look after their family and if not might well be very keen on throwing in their lot with a group that had a much better than average chance of survival in dangerous times.
Given that a massive fortification would provide enormously more protection than hiding on a plot of land any where in this crowded island wouldn’t it be the best option? Far more secure than digging a bunker in your garden. Return to the medieval system of offering protection to the local area? Or maybe I just want to be the Sheriff of Nottingham.
The obvious downside is that it would require a group of prepared, determined, knowledgeable and resourceful people. Anybody know where I could find some?
Tell me what you think and what the flaws are.
Deeps

Re: Where to live post SHTF?

Post by Deeps »

Assuming it all pans out as you describe it, I would guess there will be a time lapse to get your happy band of preppers ready to rock as soon as the arse drops out of things. I think you might struggle to muster enough 'like minded' people, not just preppers, but preppers on the same wavelength as yourself. Most people aren't fans of taking orders, some aren't even fans of giving orders, I spent most my adult life in the Forces and have no wish to do either myself. I don't think it will be quite as simple to get your group together, at least more than a 'ragtag' bunch with differences rather than an elite militia ready to offer protection in some sort of feudal system. The "prepared, determined, knowledgeable and resourceful people" who are on the same page as you might be the initial sticking point, unless you're a hell of a salesman. ;)

Its not really what I prep for to be honest but you play the hand that's dealt you I guess.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

What would make you think the caretakers and staff would not have the same goal as yourself, to use their work space as a defense.

Plus they are used to working together, know each other and know the strengths and weaknesses of the structure. And many of the owners were in the forces as officers by tradition.

Add to that the fact that many of the old estates still have gamekeepers and are into shooting sports, keep loads of food on hand for events, and you might find that the old estate is already a hardened defensive situation when you arrive.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

double post
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Castles were great 3 centuries ago , however a 360 excavator and a hammer attachment and the walls would be down . Drawbridge firebomb and wait . Strong gates large heavy truck or oxy acetyline . Your castle is just the same as a bunker but bigger and more than likely on the horizon . Good idea but..........
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

poppypiesdad wrote:Castles were great 3 centuries ago , however a 360 excavator and a hammer attachment and the walls would be down . Drawbridge firebomb and wait . Strong gates large heavy truck or oxy acetyline . Your castle is just the same as a bunker but bigger and more than likely on the horizon . Good idea but..........
My thoughts exactly.
While they'd keep out those armed with sticks and stones, and they only did that with organised armed defence on the inside they'd have a much tougher job these days. It's worth remembering that many moats have been drained (and people these days can mostly swim) drawbridges now fixed down, and as said above modern tools. It was a tough job getting through a steel portcullis back in the 15th century, I wonder how long it would take an angle grinder now... ;)
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

An actual castle is probably just going to be a big target and would need hundreds of people. In the event I'm forced to bug out / become a refugee, I'd head for a fortified house, or a small stately home that could be fortified.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sethorly wrote:An actual castle is probably just going to be a big target and would need hundreds of people. In the event I'm forced to bug out / become a refugee, I'd head for a fortified house, or a small stately home that could be fortified.
Still just a smaller version of the same thing so would probably require numbers to defend and maintain. If you've got enough people maybe but again you're coming down to people who are coordinated and working together, that might be the tricky part. People who have the discipline etc to put the 'team' first. Its pretty hard to find, probably even more so now, the world seems to have become incredibly self absorbed. I'm not sure what would inspire people to a 'cause' if we've gone all 'feral', religion maybe or a charismatic leader but I think it will be a big ask to seriously mobilise people into a cohesive unit. When I was still in the mob (assuming I wasn't at sea, not a lot you can do about it then) if there was a big propeller/excrement interaction the chances of me getting paid would be minimal, so no motivation there, even if cash was still valid. I'd also hopefully still have loved ones about unless it was a nuclear attack which would effectively be like being at sea as in I'd be down a bunker or whatever. Basically despite years of training I'd be heading home to look after my loved ones as best I could, I certainly wouldn't be joining any groups unless I either had to from necessity or I felt I had a lot in common with them. I'd certainly be expecting my wife to be looked after if I died helping out the group, it all starts to get tricky. People are people with all sorts of drives and motivations, even in day to day life we don't all get on, that would be magnified with the stress of things going Pete Tong.

Assuming things descend to this level of course, its still unlikely. :D
Offgrid

Post by Offgrid »

Deeps wrote:Assuming it all pans out as you describe it, I would guess there will be a time lapse to get your happy band of preppers ready to rock as soon as the arse drops out of things. I think you might struggle to muster enough 'like minded' people, not just preppers, but preppers on the same wavelength as yourself. Most people aren't fans of taking orders, some aren't even fans of giving orders, I spent most my adult life in the Forces and have no wish to do either myself. I don't think it will be quite as simple to get your group together, at least more than a 'ragtag' bunch with differences rather than an elite militia ready to offer protection in some sort of feudal system. The "prepared, determined, knowledgeable and resourceful people" who are on the same page as you might be the initial sticking point, unless you're a hell of a salesman. ;)

Its not really what I prep for to be honest but you play the hand that's dealt you I guess.
Yes, that is the problem with the scheme as I thought. The right people are not easy to find.
Offgrid

Post by Offgrid »

Mortblanc wrote:What would make you think the caretakers and staff would not have the same goal as yourself, to use their work space as a defense.

Plus they are used to working together, know each other and know the strengths and weaknesses of the structure. And many of the owners were in the forces as officers by tradition.

Add to that the fact that many of the old estates still have gamekeepers and are into shooting sports, keep loads of food on hand for events, and you might find that the old estate is already a hardened defensive situation when you arrive.

Fair point. I think that many of the castles are staffed by office types these days- the ones I've been to anyway, and I'm not sure they'd have the knowledge or will to manage it.