Where to live post SHTF?

Homes and Retreats
Wulfshead

Re: Where to live post SHTF?

Post by Wulfshead »

junmist wrote:The only trouble with your thinking is that everyone else will have thought of it as well so it will be first come first served or who can hold it the longest off the top of my head I can think of at lest 5 ways of getting someone into a castle to open a door to let me in so I can kill you and take all your stuff or a more likely way is to just lay siege and wait till you starve that's how most castle were taken in the old days.
The easiest way to gain access is to first go to the pub and buy two halves of beer. Take them to the castle wall and put them together.
As we know, two halves make a whole and we can then get in via that whole :lol:

Sorry, it's an old, old joke but it came to mind and made me giggle.
If a castle is the plan then sort out ALL the pros and cons, it could work.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

poppypiesdad wrote:Done :D
Damm, I knew I should have held out for two mars bars and a twix..... :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Did anybody see the link on tbe BBC news page yesterday about a group of people living in woods in the south of England? Been there for some years I think. It looked absolutely horrible. A few falling-to-bits sheds with a kitchen outside that consisted of huge horrible old pots and pans, and a line of disgusting brown washing. Not my idea of home comforts at all! And one poor old man had been living there for years... he was pictured on an ancient couch sat on a stone flagged floor.
Edited - here's the link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-37561938
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

diamond lil wrote:Did anybody see the link on tbe BBC news page yesterday about a group of people living in woods in the south of England? Been there for some years I think. It looked absolutely horrible. A few falling-to-bits sheds with a kitchen outside that consisted of huge horrible old pots and pans, and a line of disgusting brown washing. Not my idea of home comforts at all! And one poor old man had been living there for years... he was pictured on an ancient couch sat on a stone flagged floor.
Hippies, but to give them credit, they are getting by in a scenario many think would come to pass in a total SHTF world.
I take my hat off to them, I 'think' I could survive like that whilst they 'know' they can.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Wulfshead wrote:
diamond lil wrote:Did anybody see the link on tbe BBC news page yesterday about a group of people living in woods in the south of England? Been there for some years I think. It looked absolutely horrible. A few falling-to-bits sheds with a kitchen outside that consisted of huge horrible old pots and pans, and a line of disgusting brown washing. Not my idea of home comforts at all! And one poor old man had been living there for years... he was pictured on an ancient couch sat on a stone flagged floor.
Hippies, but to give them credit, they are getting by in a scenario many think would come to pass in a total SHTF world.
I take my hat off to them, I 'think' I could survive like that whilst they 'know' they can.

Wulfshead
On one hand I think what they're doing looks great and there's certainly a draw for me to live a simpler life but on the other hand, I don't think I could live with a group of hippies. :lol:
I would guess its the best of both worlds with that set up, while being 'off grid' for lecky and what not they can always pop down to sainsbo's if they run low on lentils or guitar strings or sandals (there seemed to be a lot of sandals).
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

There used to be one of those sort of commune type things about 15 miles from me at one time (think it's gone now) but that was the same, a few shacks the beverly hillbillies would have been proud of, fully off grid AFAIK. It was there for years and years, last I heard there was some kind of planning row and they'd been served notice to leave, that was a good while ago.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

Perfect example of what I always told my students at University.

Get a degree in Social Anthropology, Ecology Conservation, Art History or Music Appreciation and you will wind up living in a shack down by the river!
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Deeps,
There were lots and lots of those horrid sandles, to tell the truth I still have traumatic memories of being 13 years old.
My cousin was, and I think still is, a member of the Hells Angels MC and was visiting us from Belfast.
I was so looking forward to seeing my elder cousin and meeting him at Heathrow airport.
What a fit I chucked when my mum brought out a full on pair of tan Jesus creepers with clanky buckles.
I was not happy to say the least and how can you try an impress a 1%er biker in a pair of those creations of Loki.

I still can't walk into a shoe shop and feel comfortable standing by the shelf of the unloved footwear.

I'm ard I iz, I'll boot yer to def wiv me sandles :lol:

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Wulfshead wrote:Deeps,
There were lots and lots of those horrid sandles, to tell the truth I still have traumatic memories of being 13 years old.
My cousin was, and I think still is, a member of the Hells Angels MC and was visiting us from Belfast.
I was so looking forward to seeing my elder cousin and meeting him at Heathrow airport.
What a fit I chucked when my mum brought out a full on pair of tan Jesus creepers with clanky buckles.
I was not happy to say the least and how can you try an impress a 1%er biker in a pair of those creations of Loki.

I still can't walk into a shoe shop and feel comfortable standing by the shelf of the unloved footwear.

I'm ard I iz, I'll boot yer to def wiv me sandles :lol:

Wulfshead
I've got sandal shaped skeletons in my closet too mate :oops: I had a pair of those horrible brown ones with the buckles too, even as a kid I hated them. They weren't even practical (and I was living in a reasonably hot country), you always ended up with bloody pebbles under your feet. There's only one thing worse than brown sandals and that's brown sandals with socks.... :o
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

It didn't look bad at all to me (on phone sized pictures) not sure what I was missing?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....