Where to live post SHTF?

Homes and Retreats
sniper 55

Re: Where to live post SHTF?

Post by sniper 55 »

Not had a pair of sandals since I was a child, and didn't like them then. Funnily enough I'v got a mate who has a pair of sort of "outdoor" sandals, proper chunky tread type things.
We had to walk up a river a little while ago, the sandals worked a treat for that, my boots filled with water as the river was too deep, so we both get wet feet, his just dried quicker.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

preparedsurrey wrote:
diamond lil wrote:Did anybody see the link on tbe BBC news page yesterday about a group of people living in woods in the south of England? Been there for some years I think. It looked absolutely horrible. A few falling-to-bits sheds with a kitchen outside that consisted of huge horrible old pots and pans, and a line of disgusting brown washing. Not my idea of home comforts at all! And one poor old man had been living there for years... he was pictured on an ancient couch sat on a stone flagged floor.
Edited - here's the link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-37561938
It didn't look bad at all to me (on phone sized pictures) not sure what I was missing?
Not sure how completely they were off grid , in one picture someone was using a fairly new cordless drill and I noticed at least one mobile phone too. Granted they could be charged up by solar , wind or even human powered generator but they certainly didn't grow or forage the money for these items.
I'd like to see some pictures of the place in the depths of winter though , probably wouldn't seem as idealic.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It didn't seem idyllic to me in summer! :twisted: Imagine the spiders! and the bugs oh my god WOODLICE :shock: :shock:
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Tiker Bubble in their words

https://tinkersbubble.wordpress.com/
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

My idea of off grid simply means not having a connection to the mains power network, it wouldn't rule out for example having a big old lister diesel chugging away on veg/ waste oil turning a generator or solar/ wind/ water powered generation. No point making life more difficult unless you really want to.

I couldn't spot much space for insulation in the living accommodation, no point trying to warm up the world when you could just warm the place you live in...

Working smarter - not harder thats my new motto - i'm too old :)
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
JDandCoke

Post by JDandCoke »

Offgrid wrote:I’m just running scenarios through in my mind and would like to test the ideas on this forum- maybe find the flaws in my logic.
Assume economic disaster- Deusche Bank goes down (very possible) causing contagion throughout the banking system. Cash points don’t work so no access to cash. Food shops empty within 48 hours. Petrol stations close. Electricity becomes erratic then goes off altogether. Water supplies fail. Government imposes martial law and rationing without success. Violence spreads.
All possible and logical I think? Nothing so far that many people here would regard as ridiculous.
Society reverts to a dangerous and violent system, possibly similar to some areas in the Middle Ages. Where would you have some chance of security? What did medieval war lords and their followers do? They built or took over castles. Great big solid lumps of stone and mortar with high walls, battlements, moats and very restricted access to people they didn’t like.
Britain has a lot of castles and many are in very good repair. With a small amount of work they could become safe fortresses again for a determined and prepared group. Quite a few have large spaces inside the walls ideal for modern intensive food production like raised beds, aquaponics and other systems. Water is usually available onsite and they have built in accomodation.
In my area, Hampshire, I can identify at least a dozen fortifications dating from Roman to Victorian that could provide an extremely good base for survival. There are 4 within ten miles of me right now.
Assuming you had a prepared and motivated group in the scenario I mentioned taking over a historic castle would be quite easy. The caretakers and staff would probably have already left to look after their family and if not might well be very keen on throwing in their lot with a group that had a much better than average chance of survival in dangerous times.
Given that a massive fortification would provide enormously more protection than hiding on a plot of land any where in this crowded island wouldn’t it be the best option? Far more secure than digging a bunker in your garden. Return to the medieval system of offering protection to the local area? Or maybe I just want to be the Sheriff of Nottingham.
The obvious downside is that it would require a group of prepared, determined, knowledgeable and resourceful people. Anybody know where I could find some?
Tell me what you think and what the flaws are.
Judging by your topic it seems like you expect total collapse of civilisation. Otherwise people won't behave as you said on massive scale. Can you memorise from the past/history a situation that lasted for years where on large area of land, like county/country or continent for example there were no law at all?
There will always be people who want to maintain some sort of law, even during war. Conquering castles these days is more of a dream of person who read too many dystopian books than something that's gonna happen.

But let's say it has happened - you need large group of people with food, water, weapons, logistics etc - possibly soldiers as a large group of individuals without morale or discipline will collapse sooner or later. A group like that would have to control area within at least few miles - and here we get to the point where somebody states the law.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

diamond lil wrote:oh my god WOODLICE :shock: :shock:
Oh you mean the "forest shrimp" nom nom nom :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

O god I wish I hadn't read that. Shrinp are bad enough !!!! YEUGH :shock: :( :shock:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote:It didn't seem idyllic to me in summer! :twisted: Imagine the spiders! and the bugs oh my god WOODLICE :shock: :shock:
Just catching up. I've heard of Tinkers Bubble ... lots of woolly folk round here dip in. I'm with Lil on the spiders ... woodlice are fine, but I would never, ever stay there! Unless I had my own nice zip-uppable tent with a nice airbed. I'm just too old for all that :mrgreen: