How about buying a wood?

Homes and Retreats
JDandCoke

Re: How about buying a wood?

Post by JDandCoke »

Talking about forests - I ve recently seen adverts of forests for sale in Canada. Well over 100 acres of forest in not much populated area south of Canada of huge forest with lots of wildlife incl bears, due to some law you can buil whatever you d like without any planning permissions - it costed bit over 30k Canadian Dollars. Thats if somebody fancies abandoning civilisation for good ;)
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

JDandCoke wrote:Talking about forests - I ve recently seen adverts of forests for sale in Canada. Well over 100 acres of forest in not much populated area south of Canada of huge forest with lots of wildlife incl bears, due to some law you can buil whatever you d like without any planning permissions - it costed bit over 30k Canadian Dollars. Thats if somebody fancies abandoning civilisation for good ;)
Sounds great! I'll just get my pilot's license for my sea plane and learn how to fight off bears and wolves, and how to make snow shoes for use all year round ;)
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

You are partly correct on the Canadian land acquisition.

That land is not cheap at that price for the situation it is in and its location. 30K is highway robbery for Canadian forest land. Your nearest neighbor might be farther than Bristol is from London. You are going to be off grid because there is no grid and solar is useless when you have 24 hours of darkness for the half of the year when you need the light most.

Most of it is inaccessible except by plane or boat, there is no growing season and all foods other than meat have to be shipped in. No, green houses are not the answer at a constant -30 for three or four months a year.

If you are not a skilled hunter and marksman even meat will be precious because there are no deer, elk and moose hiding behind every bush.

And there really are things in that woods that will eat you! In fact I live much farther south than the Canadian wilds and there are things here that will eat you.

BTW, those areas of Canada are already under snow cover and will be until around June of next year.

Just think about it. We are living in the 21st Century and land in the developed nations is at a premium. There is a reason that patch of land is uninhabited.
pine cone

Post by pine cone »

JDandCoke wrote:Talking about forests - I ve recently seen adverts of forests for sale in Canada. Well over 100 acres of forest in not much populated area south of Canada of huge forest with lots of wildlife incl bears, due to some law you can buil whatever you d like without any planning permissions - it costed bit over 30k Canadian Dollars. Thats if somebody fancies abandoning civilisation for good ;)

that would cost a lot more in the uk, eg i keep getting the local rich hippies offering me 40k for my 10 acres , i would never sell
JDandCoke

Post by JDandCoke »

pine cone wrote:

that would cost a lot more in the uk, eg i keep getting the local rich hippies offering me 40k for my 10 acres , i would never sell
40k for 10 acres is not much of what I've seen. Canada has much more land and forests so the price is way lower.
JDandCoke

Post by JDandCoke »

Mortblanc wrote:You are partly correct on the Canadian land acquisition.

That land is not cheap at that price for the situation it is in and its location. 30K is highway robbery for Canadian forest land. Your nearest neighbor might be farther than Bristol is from London. You are going to be off grid because there is no grid and solar is useless when you have 24 hours of darkness for the half of the year when you need the light most.

Most of it is inaccessible except by plane or boat, there is no growing season and all foods other than meat have to be shipped in. No, green houses are not the answer at a constant -30 for three or four months a year.

If you are not a skilled hunter and marksman even meat will be precious because there are no deer, elk and moose hiding behind every bush.

And there really are things in that woods that will eat you! In fact I live much farther south than the Canadian wilds and there are things here that will eat you.

BTW, those areas of Canada are already under snow cover and will be until around June of next year.

Just think about it. We are living in the 21st Century and land in the developed nations is at a premium. There is a reason that patch of land is uninhabited.

Those I've seen were on South of Canada, close to US border, close to some small towns (aprox 3-5 miles)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

JDandCoke wrote:
pine cone wrote:

40k for 10 acres is not much of what I've seen. Canada has much more land and forests so the price is way lower.
JDandCoke wrote:
Mortblanc wrote:You are partly correct on the Canadian land acquisition.

Just the visa and flight to get in order then I guess mate.........
Those I've seen were on South of Canada, close to US border, close to some small towns (aprox 3-5 miles)
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

You want a sickener I bought 10 acres off a farmer in fife
it was a tattie field 24 years ago for 3 grand a acre. Now they say about 30k a acre. As they don't make any new Land these days ;)
J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.