Prep office/shed ideas.

Homes and Retreats
Kris369

Prep office/shed ideas.

Post by Kris369 »

So I've finally bought the biggest prep of all a small house in a little village near work.

I am currently clearing spacein my garden for a summer house/office/whatever space 6x2.4m just under 15m2 size before building regs as I have neighbours on all sides. I will be insulating it and providing power to it.

Basically I want to create a off grid set up inside a grey man shed that I can use as a office/gym normally, but have the option of a secure space incase of long term power cuts or worse. Feel the main house to big to heat and light, plus no fireplace.

Ideas to incorporate so far:

small solar panel setup with deep cycle battery,
12v lighting + maybe small fridge
small wood burning stove for cooking and heating
Waterbutt
And some space for storage.

Any ideas or comments welcome.
Thanks.
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and keep it need to know.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
Catweazle

Re: Prep office/shed ideas.

Post by Catweazle »

Shipping containers work well. They're secure, anonymous, and available in small sizes too. They are unfortunately quite heavy and difficult to move, so won't suit everyone.
Kris369

Post by Kris369 »

I like the idea would be great for my storage shed/workshop but unfortunately don't have wide enough access, plus would love to see the neighbours face as a container is crained over the house! :lol:

Any structure will have to be made onsite and made of wood to avoid planning permission but that's half the fun!

Have a gd plan of what I'm going to build, looking for ideas on what to include, will built it as a shell first, waterproof it and then add features once that's done.

Been looking at a lot of posts some really gd low voltage ideas for lighting and equipment.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I understand your issues, neighbours can be a pain.

Consider doing the roof/guttering/rain systems in fibreglass - it's cheap, easy, and lasts for decades. Inside, you can use plasterboard with insulation pre-glued on. I lined my shipping container with it, brilliant results.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Insulation...... And a MVP membrane then inner skin

Gutteing is cheap enough water intercept for water barrel

12v lighting , with 12v socket so you can charge phone or whatever if mains is off
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Kris369 wrote:So I've finally bought the biggest prep of all a small house in a little village near work.
Congratulations!

I am currently clearing spacein my garden for a summer house/office/whatever space 6x2.4m just under 15m2 size before building regs as I have neighbours on all sides. I will be insulating it and providing power to it.

Basically I want to create a off grid set up inside a grey man shed that I can use as a office/gym normally, but have the option of a secure space incase of long term power cuts or worse. Feel the main house to big to heat and light, plus no fireplace.
I'm a bit confused, tbh - its a small house, but its too big to heat and light? If the main issue is still a fireplace, could you instal a multifuel with a flue at the back? If bad stuff were to happen, the house is a lot more secure than a shed, whether its wood, fibreglass, whatever. And you've got the garden to grow stuff in.

Ideas to incorporate so far:

small solar panel setup with deep cycle battery,
12v lighting + maybe small fridge
small wood burning stove for cooking and heating thats the type you could put into the house with a proper flue
Waterbutt
And some space for storage.

Any ideas or comments welcome.
Thanks.[/quote]
A resounding *yes* to all those ideas :) And of course, if you're building it as an extension in reality, whilst avoiding formal planning laws, then a grey man shed like you describe is a great idea.

What about a toilet?

And, I think they're really expensive, but there are roof tiles that are themselves solar panels.

If its normal use is as a gym, could you actually set up some of your gym equipment (cross trainer? treadmill?) to act as a dynamo to charge your deep cycle battery?
Kris369

Post by Kris369 »

Thanks for ideas everyone.

For clarification I don't have a fireplace in the main house, want one but not possible. Putting in a combi boiler but as everyone knows they are useless without power.

See the shed as a fall back option, storage for half of my preps - rest in main house to share the risk. And just a experiment in off grid living tbh. Would love to get some woodland and build something. In normal life it's going to be a home office on one side and storage on the other but why not make it multi use in my view.

For the Man cave:
Insulation and waterproofing - Definately
Toilet - would like to but then becomes residential extension under planning and won't get the permission.
PV- have a 1kw set up going on main house roof, with a grid inverter.
PV for shed just a small panel and I use converted ups's for storage (Going to do a post on these at some point - great storage, contain everything, auto switch on and they can power 2,5,12 and 230v outputs. With really simple mods)

Once I've got the plans and laid a foundation wil make a separate post on the build of the man cave. :D

featherstick

Post by featherstick »

If you are going to put a woodstove in, you will also need a carbon monoxide detector. Don't neglect this - people have died from CO buildup in sheds, and it's becoming more of an issue with the "beds in sheds" phenomenon.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

If you have one outside wall I can't think why you couldn't have a wood burner in the house.
Don't forget ventilation - it's what you need to add once you've cured all the draughts LOL
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Or roof . Vertical flue ...... unless your on a ground floor flat then your upstairs neighbours might get a bit arsey

:lol:

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.