Campervan Living

Homes and Retreats
ParamedicPrepper

Campervan Living

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Has anyone lived in a camper? With kids?

It sounded mad at first but me and the mrs would love to do a year in a camper with kids home schooling touring UK. Has anyone else done similar?

The build side of it would be straight forward and I feel comfortable and competent enough to do, it's just the leap of faith from living in a house with creature comforts to basic living....
Last edited by ParamedicPrepper on Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
featherstick

Re: Campervan Living

Post by featherstick »

I have no clue about it but I think it's a great idea. Plenty of crusties used to do it more or less permanently, although my memory is that they would seek out a semi-permanent winter berth with access to some creature comforts. I'd do it too but the missus would probably have a nose-bleed if I suggested it.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

That would be a challenge! We all know kids come with a lot of accessories :lol: I would suggest looking on utube for ideas.

It would also depend on how big the van is, what you have inside to make life more comfortable, home schooling may need a lot of equipment then there's the must have stuff like water, food, clothes, cooking pots and pans etc etc.

If you think how much stuff you would need for camping that should give you an idea of what you will need space for.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Hire one for 2 weeks and take off. Nothing like first hand experience. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ParamedicPrepper

Brambles wrote:Hire one for 2 weeks and take off. Nothing like first hand experience. :D
We did! We have stayed in one before and are always camping, we have two weekends planned in july and august. I think we would have done it already if it wasnt for kids but have ummed and r'd
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

We met a British family about 10 years ago with 2 or 3 school aged children taking a year out from the uk and touring New Zealand in a minibus, they were staying in hostels or camping, the kids had home learning packs to work through and attended the local school if they were staying somewhere for a while (I think that was through the parents asking the schools directly, rather than anything official) while one of the parents was working.

It seemed to be working out well for them and I remember the kids being really happy at starting at a new school again when we met them.

If I was in your situation I wouldn't limit myself to touring the UK if I had the time/ funds I would be doing the whole of Europe and probably more, if you are fairly handy, don't mind what you do and are prepared to talk to the locals you can usually pick up some work to help you along.

What about buying a coach and converting that to a motor home? You could tow a car behind on an A frame so you could leave it parked up on site and still be able to go out.
The only downside would be that some sites can be/ are quite fussy about the type of vehicles they let on especially if you haven't stayed their before.

Good luck and keep us posted, do it sooner rather than later in case they decide to change the rules about home schooling.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

preparedsurrey wrote:
What about buying a coach and converting that to a motor home? You could tow a car behind on an A frame so you could leave it parked up on site and still be able to go out.
The only downside would be that some sites can be/ are quite fussy about the type of vehicles they let on especially if you haven't stayed their before.
I would check the Regs in towing with an A Frame for EU input, As I have been informed that the Towed Car must brake with the Tow unit.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

From a company website that does them

http://www.unibrake.co.uk/towing-legall ... n-a-frame/

Seems might be better off with a trailer than dolly
As a good bit of work needed on both camper and tow vehicle .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
ParamedicPrepper

May be difficult for me towing a vehicle as I am only allowed to tow up to 750kg on my license. I have done an additional C1 test to drive up to 7.5 ton for work but the size of camper I would need would probably be a 7.5 ton vehicle already. We don't intend on sticking around sites for long so not to upset about having another car. Plus I would still work flexibly to start as my work will let me work all my shifts in one week and then disappear off for 3 weeks. So the car would be stored at the mother in laws on her driveway. Plus I could do part time as would be saving a lot of money on household bills...
unsure

Post by unsure »

https://www.facebook.com/Sygma-Motorhom ... 0069203760

have a word with pete , he owns and rents it out
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .