Building your own home

Homes and Retreats
pitchshifter

Re: Building your own home

Post by pitchshifter »

Ugh it would be such a great opportunity, and I know it might never come again, it's just not come at the right time for us now :cry: .

I'd rather have the baby though, she's awesome :D .
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Of course it´s doable. My parents started to build their house with a one year old and a two year old, then after when I was born, they split up and mom started to build her own house with me on the hip.
The only thing you need to be mindful of is to turn of the electricity completely in the room where you keep your power tools, because even toddlers quickly learn that they work if you plug them in, but they don't understand how to operate a fuse box.
Don't be a chicken, enjoy life and live it to the fullest. :P
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

At your stage of life (with a new baby, our first) a friend suggested doing a self-build in tandem. It's cheaper to get land if 2+ families pitch in, perhaps allowing you to stay in the current place while the new place is being built. Might be worth considering for you. I kind of regret not doing it.
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Home building was discussed recently on BBC4 following a report that something like 30% of homes are self built in Holland which compares to barely 8% in Britain . It would appear there are more obstacles in this country . Being cynical it's probably done to benefit house building companies and to maintain their profits. Other problems aside it seems the biggest problem is that of finance. Getting a mortgage for self build is trickier and more expensive , I think that's because there's no house to act as collateral , and generally have higher interest rates. Most self builders once they have overcome that initial problem and have built their home then go on to remortgage at more competitive prices , again that's because there is a house for collateral allowing a "regular" approach to mortgage.
If you have the commitment and a reasonable amount of ready cash then go for it , what have you got to lose.
JDandCoke

Post by JDandCoke »

pitchshifter wrote:We're looking to move in the near future and I've seen a patch of land (few acres) that, if I sold my current home, I could probably afford to buy. I could then probably afford to have a home built on said land. Before I get carried away with this, please tell me I'm mad and it's not feasible for 2 people (and a baby!) with no knowledge of house building to build their own home. I think I've watched too much Grand Designs!

If you have built your own home (or had one built to your specifications) please tell me your story, I'd love to hear about it!
I know it's "bit" too late to answer it but maybe it will help somebody. In Poland it is common thing that people build houses one way or another on their own. This way you have the house made the way you want it of materials you want and with rooms layout you want. Some people do build it on their own, some hire builders, but they end up with house made the way they want/need and it's not rocket science.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Absolutely it not rocket science . It's more structural engineering and building control ..........

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

Sorry I missed a few replies! If only it were that easy JD but basically what poppypiesdad said, and there would be reams of paperwork etc. to get through in the UK before building could even start! Cynical I love the idea of a tandem build, and the land is actually still for sale so perhaps I should sound out some of my friends...
JDandCoke

Post by JDandCoke »

pitchshifter wrote:Sorry I missed a few replies! If only it were that easy JD but basically what poppypiesdad said, and there would be reams of paperwork etc. to get through in the UK before building could even start! Cynical I love the idea of a tandem build, and the land is actually still for sale so perhaps I should sound out some of my friends...
Do you really think it is easy in Poland? You also have to get over bureaucracy, paperwork, permissions, apply for connection to sewage, to electricity, water etc, it's not that you just start building. You have to supervise people as well and check often how they are doing, if they work or if they get drunk and sit around. People are stressed but this way they have good quality house built the way they want rather than cheap shite from developer. Honestly - If I had finances I'd start building even in this country. If a foreigner can do it - I am sure you can do it as you probably know many things about paperwork etc that I don't ;-)
Building for yourself you can do thicker walls - actually the inside block can be twice as thick than developers do it, you can make sure the thermal insulation is proper, you can dig basement for your preps, or build small room as a storage for food, you can install doors and windows you want, you can do chimney, even one that serves as central heating etc. Think about possibilities. Costwise building 1 square meter is about 80quid - 1k of what I've heared - so I imagine building decent house would be cost of about 150k plus land costs. Just think about possibilities and that in 2 years you can live in house of your dreams, rather than average house designed for greedy developer ;-)