Mains Gas Hob - LPG Backup?

Homes and Retreats
JonnyT

Mains Gas Hob - LPG Backup?

Post by JonnyT »

I've got a gas cooker hob in the kitchen that runs off the mains gas supply.

I was wondering if it's possible to install a bottled gas a backup system? My thinking is that should there be a major/minor incident whereby the mains gas supply goes off for an extended period I can just turn a gas tap under the counter and switch to bottled gas and keep on using my hob without any issues?

Has anyone done this before? I know virtually nothing about gas appliances, in searching the internet there's all sorts of talk about regulators and changing jets etc. I'm just looking for a definitive answer if anyone knows?
sniper 55

Re: Mains Gas Hob - LPG Backup?

Post by sniper 55 »

One of my friends uses bottled gas, she just buys a normal cheap old gas cooker, it seems to work ok, don't know if you loose any effeciency though.

Can I just offer a word of caution on messing with the gas supply system. I was blown out of bed some years ago by neighbour who re-connected his gas fire, it took their 3 bedroom house down to the bottom of the downstairs windows, killed the whole family and took out all the windows in the street.

I know as a prepper your going to get it done properly but someone reading this might think they can do it themself, and gas is nasty stuff when it goes wrong.
soutie

Post by soutie »

it is not really that easy , they are 2 different types of gas , some gas hobs can be adapted to run off one or the other , but it's not a turn of a switch job , it's a gas engineer job !!!! something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAST-IRON-GAS ... Sw6EhUSK5W might be a better option !!!
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

You usually need to rejet them to use lpg. I would be inclined to have a seperate portable stove you could put on top of your existing hob and run from bottles as a backup
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
JonnyT

Post by JonnyT »

Wow, thanks so much for the fast responses guys.

Obviously anything I want done I'd be getting a qualified gas engineer in to do. There's no way I'm messing round with mains gas supply.

You've answered a lot of my questions so thanks for that. I've got some gas stoves that I have for camping / emergency so I can always use them.

I've just go this idea about adapting my home so that should a bad situation occur whereby there's no electricity / gas / water I can continue almost as if nothing was different. It's not living off-grid as such, It's more what I call "off-grid-ready".

Being able to continue as normal despite the problems and with little change to how we use appliances etc. I've got big plans for solar panels, tesla power walls, digging down to the water table for a well in the back garden. solar water pumps, solar water heating and all that.

My only problem is champaign taste and beer money. ;)
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Why not get a "wok" burner fitted to your home kitchen
http://www.baumatic.co.uk/BGG30/

Have it running alongside your usual gas /electric hob but because of your new found "Masterchef" hobby you got another hob.
Get your gas fitter to fit it (then it will be super duper legal to calm the worry of h&s fanatics), but fit the supplied lpg jet and run proper pipe to the outside with a gas bottle manifold on it .

Then you have
Mains gas /electric hob
Back up lpg prepper hob

Easy peasy lemon squezzy
J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

http://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/cam ... GwodMwQA_A

then even if say your forced upstairs due to flooding you can have this upstairs with you and still cook / boil water / take it camping / bug out with it

if its just loss of gas how about a electric hot plate?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fine-Elements- ... 678&sr=1-2
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
notadog

Post by notadog »

LPG runs at a much higher pressure than mains gas, so you will need to change the injectors or you will get flame lift. Your best bet is a 5kw cast iron gas ring that is designed to run from LPG.
On the Internet, no one knows you are a dog.
unsure

Post by unsure »

can i just say that LPG and propane gas , though the same stuff, is delivered differently .
LPG is used as a liquid then heated to give you gas , propane comes out of the bottle as gas .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

unsure wrote:can i just say that LPG and propane gas , though the same stuff, is delivered differently .
LPG is used as a liquid then heated to give you gas , propane comes out of the bottle as gas .
Sorry m8 your wrong, dangerously wrong !
Lpg and propane are the same thing
Lpg is delivered to your tank under high pressure , that's why it is pumped by the tanker into the tank and pumped into your car at the petrol station liquid pumps gas takes much longer .
You certainly do not heat lpg cylinders or tanks to get gas , it evaporates off the liquid layer to give you gas which you then regulate to 38mb then it goes to your appliance, that's why tanks are only filled to 85% FILL capacity.

You've get liquid cylinders that have dip tubes to get the liquid for forklifts .

Jamie
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.