Mains Gas Hob - LPG Backup?

Homes and Retreats
defender130

Mains Gas Hob - LPG Backup?

Post by defender130 »

What poppiepiesdad said is correct

LPG and Propane are exactly the same only difference between applications is choice of take off

Gas appliances use the vapour take off from the top of the cylinder as does a boiler or cooker from a big bulk tank if your house runs on LPG

Cars and forklifts running on LPG still have the 20% vapour space in the top of the cylinder for thermal expansion but use a dip tube to take the pressurised liquid to a vaporiser where it is turned back into a gas and fed through a mixer for the vehicle to run on

If you want a back up I got a Foker 9kw boiling ring from Hamilton gas products and have just started piping this with quick release gas bbq nozzles and a Y piece to run it from 2 propane bottles

There are plenty of commercially available proper hobs around designed and jetted for LPG use so get one of those and have it plumbed in properly to an outside storage locker with 47 kg cylinder and a spare and you will be set with a safe backup cooking system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
unsure

Re: Mains Gas Hob - LPG Backup?

Post by unsure »

poppypiesdad wrote:
unsure wrote:can i just say that LPG and propane gas , though the same stuff, is delivered differently .
LPG is used as a liquid then heated to give you gas , propane comes out of the bottle as gas .
Sorry m8 your wrong, dangerously wrong !
Lpg and propane are the same thing
Lpg is delivered to your tank under high pressure , that's why it is pumped by the tanker into the tank and pumped into your car at the petrol station liquid pumps gas takes much longer .
You certainly do not heat lpg cylinders or tanks to get gas , it evaporates off the liquid layer to give you gas which you then regulate to 38mb then it goes to your appliance, that's why tanks are only filled to 85% FILL capacity.

You've get liquid cylinders that have dip tubes to get the liquid for forklifts .

Jamie
i may have worded it wrong , but on my lpg kit on my v8 disco , there was a emulator that was heated by the water system on my engine , i didn`t say the tank was heated just the gas .
if you don`t heat the gas you end up with a frozen emulator and no gas untill it thaws out . same apply`s to the works l200 , that has to run on petrol for a bit till its warm up enough to switch over to gas .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

notadog wrote:LPG runs at a much higher pressure than mains gas, so you will need to change the injectors or you will get flame lift. Your best bet is a 5kw cast iron gas ring that is designed to run from LPG.
Also incorrect ,most domestic lpg /propane appliances run at 38mbar .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

unsure wrote:
poppypiesdad wrote:
unsure wrote:can i just say that LPG and propane gas , though the same stuff, is delivered differently .
LPG is used as a liquid then heated to give you gas , propane comes out of the bottle as gas .
Sorry m8 your wrong, dangerously wrong !
Lpg and propane are the same thing
Lpg is delivered to your tank under high pressure , that's why it is pumped by the tanker into the tank and pumped into your car at the petrol station liquid pumps gas takes much longer .
You certainly do not heat lpg cylinders or tanks to get gas , it evaporates off the liquid layer to give you gas which you then regulate to 38mb then it goes to your appliance, that's why tanks are only filled to 85% FILL capacity.

You've get liquid cylinders that have dip tubes to get the liquid for forklifts .

Jamie
i may have worded it wrong , but on my lpg kit on my v8 disco , there was a emulator that was heated by the water system on my engine , i didn`t say the tank was heated just the gas .
if you don`t heat the gas you end up with a frozen emulator and no gas untill it thaws out . same apply`s to the works l200 , that has to run on petrol for a bit till its warm up enough to switch over to gas .
Again your wrong whatever way you say it or change or edit it
Lpg converts itself to a gas , no heat , no mumbo jumbo it's just the boiling point and pressure of the gas at a certain pressure .
This could go on and on .

J
Be Prepared.
notadog

Post by notadog »

poppypiesdad wrote:
notadog wrote:LPG runs at a much higher pressure than mains gas, so you will need to change the injectors or you will get flame lift. Your best bet is a 5kw cast iron gas ring that is designed to run from LPG.
Also incorrect ,most domestic lpg /propane appliances run at 38mbar .

J
Mains gas, i.e natural gas is 21mbar, though, isn't it, which is what I was talking about.

The OP asked the same question that I asked my Gas Safe mate - Can I run my kitchen gas hob (natural gas) on LPG. The answer was no, the pressure is too high on LPG and you get flame lift, unless you change the injectors.
On the Internet, no one knows you are a dog.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i think we shall have to agree to disagree on this ,
below is link to a simple automotive LPG kit . they call it a vaporizer but its the same thing .

http://upload.alibaba.com/common/upload ... e1bc31c1f0
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Two things
Unsure we are taking about domestic gas /lpg /propane .Not vehicle systems

Notadog do you know what the difference between 21mbar and 38mbar is yes 17mbar or a very light fart . The jet change has been discussed . 17mbar is really nothing

Jamie
Be Prepared.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Ok this is getting well off topic but I know lpg autogas installations.
The vapouriser does not heat the gas, it is heated (usually tee'd off the heater pipes) but only to stop it freezing when the liquidified gas changes back to a gas, this is caused by the change in the pressure at which it is stored.
You can watch this for yourself if you really want with an inverted propane bottle and some adaptors. I can't remember the exact numbers but it's something like 1 litre of lpg (liquid) will turn into 100 or 1000l of vapour at normal atmospheric pressure.

If you think about it when you released the lpg filler nozzle after filling then the whoosh of gas you get is the little bit of liquid lpg between the nozzle end and the seal in the filler instantly turning to a gas at normal British temperatures - no heating required.

I've also tried to run a lpg jetted hob on mains gas, it works but you get very little heat output, ( the hob was supplied incorrectly jet from the factory) I would say the calorific value of lpg is higher than natural gas
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....