How much is too much?

Homes and Retreats
munchh

Re: How much is too much?

Post by munchh »

I too feel your pain, i have stuff that was "nearly" what i wanted and sooner or later ive bought the thing i really wanted after realising i should have done that in the first place instead of trying to save some money!

I keep stuff that i can re purpose or fix up or even make from scratch before i buy new but it does fill your house with stuff.

with the new bootsale season starting i have promised myself and my long siffering wife that i am going to be very picky about what i buy from now on and do a few myself to get some money back on the "nearly" what i wanted stuff. :oops:
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

It's frustrating because there have been so many times i've been able to fix or professionally adapt (bodge!) something out of the bits and pieces.

I once fixed a piece of tree climbing equipment for a former employer using some old scrappy bits i had, and his surprised and impressed response was - 'God, you're like that McGyver!'

One of the greatest moments of my life right there! :D
PrepperPete

Post by PrepperPete »

munchh wrote:I too feel your pain, i have stuff that was "nearly" what i wanted and sooner or later ive bought the thing i really wanted after realising i should have done that in the first place instead of trying to save some money!

I keep stuff that i can re purpose or fix up or even make from scratch before i buy new but it does fill your house with stuff.

with the new bootsale season starting i have promised myself and my long siffering wife that i am going to be very picky about what i buy from now on and do a few myself to get some money back on the "nearly" what i wanted stuff. :oops:
Some time ago, I took a bit of a "pause" in my (own long suffering wife's view of my) relentless impulse buying and had the same, ahem, "moment of clarity" about buying stop-gap kit.

Getting past the feeling of gratification that comes with a new purchase and looking at the whole "buy cheap, buy twice" issue, I decided that the investment in 'kit for life' was a better approach.

I still go to boot sales and second hand shops but won't rush into buying the first "thing" I see, because if it's not what I've decided is the ACTUAL thing I want, then I'm just kidding myself it'll do. Being totally honest with myself, I know it's not what I'll settle for and I'll end up spending money twice!

For example, I really want a chainsaw, but until I find the precise Stihl model at a price I feel is appropriate, It'll stay on the prepping shopping list rather than get a cheap-ish alternative.

I too have got to the point where I have simply too much stuff and it now needs a day or two off to sort! Oops!

Nowadays I spend significantly longer on the research to work out what is a better long-term investment and I'm (moderately) happier to spend a bit more on the right thing, knowing that my tendency to buy an upgrade later has been greatly reduced!

Someone once said that "a bargain is only a bargain if you need it" - how right they were!

Cheers
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

yorkshirewolf wrote:
defender130 wrote:No such thing as too much

Just a house that's too small
You have no idea how much i fantasize about my own huge barn/shed/bunker, with a million small drawers, compartments, shelves, cubbies, hangers, all with a nice little label saying whats in there...

The drawers would have metal, ball bearing runners which i could oil, and a little slot on the front for the label to slide into...

...I'd even have small labels on my offcuts of wire and rope telling me the length....

MMMMMMMM organisation...
download.jpg
Join the club, whilst we were sorting thro all the tins the other day we agreed that we should rip out the kitchen and remodel just for storage so that it's nice and clear for us to glance at! And the garage oh, and the shed and then there's ....you get the idea! :lol:
Knowledge is power
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

PrepperPete wrote:For example, I really want a chainsaw, but until I find the precise Stihl model at a price I feel is appropriate, It'll stay on the prepping shopping list rather than get a cheap-ish alternative.

Definitely wait and get a Stihl, I've owned or used a few different makes over the years - Husky, Ryobi, Mcculloch, but the Stihls really are worth the extra.

If you have a ring round Stihl dealers, especially ones who service them, you sometimes get refurbished trade-ins at a good price...

Apologies to your wife.. ;)
PrepperPete

Post by PrepperPete »

Thanks for the tip YorkshireWolf. Will definitely give that a try!

No need to apologise to her indoors, she knows what I'm like!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: