Off grid living 30's style

Homes and Retreats
Brambles

Re: Off grid living 30's style

Post by Brambles »

I admit a bit of mangle envy and what I wouldn't give for an Anderson Shelter! My Nan had one which she maintained after the war and us kids would camp out in it during the summer.
I'm only a generation away from that era and well remember a lot of what she has recreated. Now I'm older, I really appreciate the home comforts the modern world affords.
Good luck to her, how many can say they are living their dream?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

I wonder if an Anderson shelter could be used like a root cellar to store your veg over the winter?

Mangles like that don't come cheap!
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Hardest thing would be keeping it dry and the damp down
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I saw this article and to be honest I admire her stamina! Granted she comes across as a tad strange which is not news for us on here :lol: but I couldn't live like that day to day unless I had to, why make such hard work for yourself if you don't need to? :? You don't have to go to that extreme to be green and I think she would really struggle living like that if she also had a family to care for and a full time job.

It was a difficult time for women back in 1930s and many didn't work once the kids arrived!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Deeps wrote:
preppingsu wrote:OK, wouldn't want to live like that all the time but knowing the skills of basic living is a must. This is the ultimate prep, knowing how to do things by hand, living frugally and not being dependent on modern technology.
Fair play to her.
I suppose it comes down to having the skill set (and gear) even if you don't use it day to day. I used to have to hand wash my rig back in baby training which was, admittedly a year or two ago :roll: and one of the things I check with Her Maj when buying dhoby dust is how effective it is if we needed to hand wash, although it wouldn't surprise me if she just lied to shut me up. :lol:

The lassie is a bit 'odd' but she's not doing anyone any harm and good luck to her, she's happy.
Err, yes!

OK, for handwashing I always keep a box of this
http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductVie ... 07-Bio+tex
but you can also use this
https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop ... y=stergene
or alternatively I always have a few tubes of travel wash - as we always take them on hols
Knowledge is power
munchh

Post by munchh »

I see it more like that bloke who does Christmas day everyday in his house. I like the idea of not relying on mod cons but there are more modern versions of the stuff she uses so i recon you could make it easier, but then she is not trying to live off grid, she just likes 1939. Its more living history.
there must be a special man out there somewhere? ;)
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.