Off grid living 30's style

Homes and Retreats
jansman

Off grid living 30's style

Post by jansman »

If it all went wrong in the morning this lady would just carry on regardless I reckon.

The woman who lives in a 1939 time warp
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35734889
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Re: Off grid living 30's style

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:If it all went wrong in the morning this lady would just carry on regardless I reckon.

The woman who lives in a 1939 time warp
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35734889
I caught some of this yesterday morning on the BBC breakfast programme, fair play to here but nothing like making life hard for yourself, she dhoby's her clothes with shaved carbolic soap......by hand.

preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

OK, wouldn't want to live like that all the time but knowing the skills of basic living is a must. This is the ultimate prep, knowing how to do things by hand, living frugally and not being dependent on modern technology.
Fair play to her.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

preppingsu wrote:OK, wouldn't want to live like that all the time but knowing the skills of basic living is a must. This is the ultimate prep, knowing how to do things by hand, living frugally and not being dependent on modern technology.
Fair play to her.
I suppose it comes down to having the skill set (and gear) even if you don't use it day to day. I used to have to hand wash my rig back in baby training which was, admittedly a year or two ago :roll: and one of the things I check with Her Maj when buying dhoby dust is how effective it is if we needed to hand wash, although it wouldn't surprise me if she just lied to shut me up. :lol:

The lassie is a bit 'odd' but she's not doing anyone any harm and good luck to her, she's happy.
unsure

Post by unsure »

fair play to her , i`d say she`s more than one step a head than most .
i did however see a mobile phone :lol: so not totally back in 1939
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

unsure wrote:fair play to her , i`d say she`s more than one step a head than most .
i did however see a mobile phone :lol: so not totally back in 1939
She needed it for work I think. She also wanted to get a bloke but was struggling, no Sky sports will do that. :P
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

I take my hat off to people who want to "live the experience" and get a feel for what it would have been like back then. However I do find this slightly strange in my opinion - the bit where she has an actual Anderson shelter and uses it to run to, as she put it "This is my Anderson shelter keep me safe in the air raids" oh come off it love, that's a bit much. :roll: :lol:
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Only watched the clip in the link but I guess that bit may have been thrown in for a bit of drama, I don't think that shelter had been up too long looking at it - I wouldn't have expected sealing round the edges of the end wall with expanding foam in 1939 though ;) she seemed happy enough though and that's a lot more than a lot of people.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Well, I actually live a lot like her, but I don't do of the same reason. For me it's about having such a small impact on the planet as possible. But because of my heart condition, I do have a washing machine, but I don't have water from the tap or a bathroom. I shower outdoors most parts of the year, but when it hits -25 C, then I take a bath indoors instead.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Interesting replies. I thought it was an interesting article. I have to say though, not my bag of nuts, living that way.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.