Bridge Replacement views and advice

Homes and Retreats
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Hi all , My property is accessed via a bridge wide enough for a transit but nothing bigger and is possibly about 15ft in length. It is at present held up by two BIG H beams and at each side of these are two telegraph poles laid along next to H beams which the sleepers bolt into . Any views and advice gratefully recieved please ,including experiences . ( As I cannot find much info)
I am concerned about life span and need to prepare to either keep and maintain it or change it.
I ultimatly would like to change it to 50% wider and change it to all steel and concrete (views please )
I have no idea how much this would potentially cost ?
How dificult it would be or who would do it ?
The planning implications (but it is the only access and egress ) ?
The cost ?
Also has anyone got a view on pitfalls ?
defender130

Post by defender130 »

Difficult without seeing it but personally going of your description I would do the following

Install some new girders and supports along either side of existing bridge with a view to using the existing bridge as shuttering for concrete replacement

Make framework up as necessary with reinforcing above and sheets to contain concrete resting on existing bridge then lay a fresh bridge over the current one that is strong enough to be self supporting when the existing one dissolves under it, which it probably never will with a fresh one above it doing the work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
preparedsurrey

Re: Bridge Replacement views and advice

Post by preparedsurrey »

Without seeing it or knowing how much weight you might put over it I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. Do you know anyone with structural engineering experience?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Deep Thinker wrote:wide enough for a transit but nothing bigger?
Wider than a transit seems to suggest a lorry or large agricultural tractor which by definition will almost certainly mean heavier. I think the advice to consult a structural engineer is sound and a visit to your local council planning page might answer questions involving permission.
By the way , am I reading your post correctly . iI'm reading it as the steel H beams don't span the gap but act as a support for telegraph poles so is in effect a timber bridge.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Just to add a lot will depend on the nature of the banks and the stream/ river some substantial reinforcement maybe nessesary upstream and under the bridge to prevent erosion, maybe some gabions?
There will be some steel work and concrete to spread the point loads on the bank.

Even a fully loaded LWB transit and trailer can legally gross 5.5 tonne, and they are easy to overload.....
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Not to mention any drainage board /environment agencies requirements
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Hi All
Loads to think about guys- Do want it to take bigger loads so think I need to speak to council and structural engineer ,just need to try and find out some costs and would assume a structural engineer would know of contractor as assume it would be civil engineers.
Many thanks
DT
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

It seems everyone is getting things too complicated

Here you go

http://www.bridgesupply.co.uk/bridges/

Ex army Bailey bridges . Span over what you've got or put bridge deck pieces on what you have .
Simples
Might not be cheap .
Nothing is now .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

As others have said get proper advice.
Theres the legal aspects to think about too, planning regs, enviromental damage all sorts of things that might not be obvious at first.
Years ago I spent time on board a ship, one of the guys I got talking too was an ex structural engineer. We got talking about a wooden footbridge over a stream near my home, it turned out he'd designed and planned it, during the chat I found out how long it takes to do something simple like a 20 foot wooden footbridge.
I'd just thought a few blokes turned up and knocked it up, but no it takes months, theres load factors, ground tests all sorts of stuff goes on behind the build, and thats without the dreaded "Elf and safety" bloke to put his oar in.
But better safe than sorry, you don't want it falling down when postman pat drives over it one day.
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Think it will need to be the formal route as round us the council are really strict .So once I get some more saved will get structural engineer in.Mind you the bridges are impressive . Just advice for folks though I would never buy a house with a bridge again just very restrictive for access.
Many Thanks to all.
DT