This is bonkers!

Homes and Retreats
jansman

This is bonkers!

Post by jansman »

Nest thermostat bug leaves users cold
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35311447

Ok , so I ain't Bill Gates. This is technology gone mad. But I would say that as I sit here in front of my low tech wood burner !
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Briggs 2.0

Re: This is bonkers!

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Jansman,

I've checked, mine is working just fine, bringing my wood burner on quite nicely.

What is bonkers is the price of oil, kerosene is 25p per litre today so I bought 1000 litres - it's more cost effective for me to be running the oil boiler rather than logs.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
jansman

Post by jansman »

The fuel you burn is always ( has always) been subject to political decisions etc. My incredulity at the above article is because it seems that particular heating system relies on a computerised system!WTF!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I would rather have a wood burner than any other heating, not sure I would have that system installed!!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

jansman wrote:The fuel you burn is always ( has always) been subject to political decisions etc. My incredulity at the above article is because it seems that particular heating system relies on a computerised system!WTF!
Check out what the Nest does and you'll probably be impressed. It runs our biomass and oil boilers with a high degree of time and temperature control so our heating only comes on when it's necessary. Our Nest has probably paid for itself twice over by now.

For all it's technology, it's possible to press it just like a switch to override it which the article failed to mention. No one is going to freeze to death hugging a cold radiator because a Nest failed. Typical media hype to make an invalid point.
jansman

Post by jansman »

If you have this system and it works, fair enough. I never knew of it til I read of it on the BBC website. Personally, I will stick with the wood stove. I can rely on that.

Robert Frost.

Me.
SkyWatcher

Post by SkyWatcher »

So would they still work in a powercut? Think i'll just stick to my woodburner too! ;)
Area 11

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Once the SHTF thousands of other people are gonna want the same as you. What do you think your chances are of getting it?.......
Briggs 2.0

This is bonkers!

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I can't speak for other Nest users but mine works in a power cut, so does my central heating and hot water.

I'll stop defending my Nest now, I sound like an employee.
SkyWatcher

Post by SkyWatcher »

Briggs 2.0 wrote: I'll stop defending my Nest now, I sound like an employee.
:lol:
Area 11

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Once the SHTF thousands of other people are gonna want the same as you. What do you think your chances are of getting it?.......
jansman

Post by jansman »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I can't speak for other Nest users but mine works in a power cut, so does my central heating and hot water.

I'll stop defending my Nest now, I sound like an employee.
Like I said, if it works for you, great. I never knew such things existed. I find it difficult to get my head round, that is all. Stay warm!

Robert Frost.

Me.