The long term vision

Homes and Retreats
Bournemouthprepper

The long term vision

Post by Bournemouthprepper »

I've been reading through as many posts as my little brain could take over the last 2 days, and i have to say i'm slightly worried!!!

A lot of people are saying that you can take and hold a location if you have enough people, which is, of course a fair enough comment and for the first few weeks i'm sure it'd work well.

HOWEVER, think long and hard about how many people you allow to know about your prepping and objectives, only tell those you trust, you WILL have to make many tough choices.

The reason i say these 'lovely' things are of course the fact that we live in a very dependable world, which 98% of us are supported by just the 2%. And of course we are on an island, which means, we are doubley screwed. We have NO official food reserves, the food on the shop shelves and in the distribution centres are all we have.

For most of us our retreats are miles and miles outside of the local populus (Of Course!) which means a lot of travel, if you are truely looking at serious prepping, i pray that you can make the right balance between charity and survivability.

Rant over :)
counsellor

Re: The long term vision

Post by counsellor »

I had a few times in my life when things haven’t gone well
You know the usual stuff, like being homeless, absolutely no money and worst debts the size of phone numbers and no job
Anyway the point is that I found that its isn’t always easy to think straight when the pressures on
In fact I find it is easy to sit on the sofa and plan, but when the sh*T actually hits the fan it’s much harder
It’s almost like when I’m on my a$$, I lose the ability to think clearly, quickly and to make the right decisions.
One of the worst was when I was half starved with no money at all in North Africa. I had to travel about 100 miles to the airport to get back to the UK

I walked having not eaten for days and partially dehydrated. Walking during the night because it was cooler, but being nearly being run down more than once and in real danger of being mugged
Just to make it more uncomfortable I was being eaten alive by bugs and just to add to the situation didn’t really know where I was going.
The thing is that sitting here now it’s easy to say, oh I should have done this or that, but at the time it’s all too confusing and difficult
The other thing is that it is really hard to make or adjust a plan to suit a changing situation especially when you’re on your own.
I think the point is that it is a luxury and important to have time to think and the ability to make good plans / prep.

CJ
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Food: Reserves
Tim Farron: To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs how many days of food stocks at current consumption levels her Department holds in reserve. [33544]

Mr Paice [holding answer 13 January 2011]: The Government have no plans to hold reserve stocks of food. In the UK Food Security Assessment (published in August 2009 and updated in January 2010) DEFRA assesses that the UK enjoys a high level of food security, and we are continuously reviewing our evidence base to maintain this situation.
But then again where do you keep enough food for upto 63 million people for a long term survival situation?
lone wolf

Post by lone wolf »

At UKP we generally prep for events like fuel shortages, strikes, terrorist attacks and so on where you need to sustain yourself for days/weeks before some sort of order is restored.

Long term survival of world changing events such as a global disaster or WW etc then i think very few would be able to survive on their own long term even with a BOL or years of supplies, it wouldnt matter how many mutiltools you had in your pocket, only large groups would prevail, saftey in numbers, but that would come long after the violence, killings, thefts and uglyness happened...IMHO

We have to determin what we are prepping for !

Lone Wolf
Bournemouthprepper

I agree, doing it on your own will never work, and at the end of the day, why surivive if your the only person? However i've looked at many of the NT locations stated and you would need a small army to effectively defend the kind of BOL.

The problem with the UK is every 20 miles you drive you will hit a major populus, it is enevitable. unlike on the continent where its possible to find places where you will never be found.

Surely real prepping is for the major events? Riding out the smaller events are just exercises to show you where you need more work. You need to prepare for the many things which can go wrong in this fragile world.

I don;t want to ramble, i am unsure how many people on here actually do serious prepping, but just imagine this scenario:

A normal everyday man who has to support his family, his wife and 2 kids. They have been without power for weeks, no clean water to drink or wash. His children are physically dying in front of him. He has done no prepping therfore has no back up stores. This man will do anything to provide for his family, and give him a weapon and a whole lot of us are in serious trouble. Unfortunately not everyone is kind, giving and charitable. Human Nature states that killing will be nothing to a man who is fighting to provide for his family.

My advice, only tell the people who you plan to save what you are doing.
Bournemouthprepper

I juat want to add, i work in retail, and all the stores in the country work on the same principles. They have next to no stock in the back warehouses, they get daily deliveries in order to keep them well stocked. You have a major event which effects this and the stores wont get their daily deliveries, the shelves will empty in the panic, I saw it during the 'big freeze' we recently had, alot of shops found their shelves empty after just 1-18 hour trading day.

It is, and should be a major concern of any prepper.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

My advice, only tell the people who you plan to save what you are doing.
Perhaps we are, and that is why you or anyone else isn't going to be reading our true preps on an open public forum.

Yes we live in a "Just in time" society, it isn't a major concern for "any prepper" because we have prepped for it ;)
Bournemouthprepper

Another big concern you should have is fuel. while the government hasn't stored any food, they have stored fuel. Once again, however, during the last fuel strike we dipped into that emergency stores, and haven't looked at increasing it. Realistically, just like food, the only useable fuel with have in this country is in the Petrol stations dotted around the country. So any prepping you have done had better not include using much fuel!
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

Bournemouthprepper wrote:Another big concern you should have is fuel. while the government hasn't stored any food, they have stored fuel. Once again, however, during the last fuel strike we dipped into that emergency stores, and haven't looked at increasing it. Realistically, just like food, the only useable fuel with have in this country is in the Petrol stations dotted around the country. So any prepping you have done had better not include using much fuel!

They do have some fuel store about the country as i know of one thats is hidden near me (quite large) but i think the fuel would be restricted to the army/ public services ect in a major situation

axel
janso

Post by janso »

axelt123 wrote:
Bournemouthprepper wrote:Another big concern you should have is fuel. while the government hasn't stored any food, they have stored fuel. Once again, however, during the last fuel strike we dipped into that emergency stores, and haven't looked at increasing it. Realistically, just like food, the only useable fuel with have in this country is in the Petrol stations dotted around the country. So any prepping you have done had better not include using much fuel!

They do have some fuel store about the country as i know of one thats is hidden near me (quite large) but i think the fuel would be restricted to the army/ public services ect in a major situation

axel

Ditto that Axel, plus a percentage left in situ for the 'start -up' programme when the lights are trying to come back on