The long term vision

Homes and Retreats
Bournemouthprepper

Re: The long term vision

Post by Bournemouthprepper »

Best thing to do is look at places which no-one will even want to go to, this may buy you time, if only a few weeks!

All of you people looking at these big historically defensive structures? be prepared to either share or defend!

Those looking at the small cabins in the few miles of forest left in this country? think how many people you can fit in there!

Maybe the best bet would be a hidden urban fortress! if you had the money to make it!

What ever you do... DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT go into any government backed holding areas!!!!!!!!!

I cannot stress this enough, thousands of people crammed in close quarters? what do you think will happen when the food and water runs out...
lone wolf

Post by lone wolf »

thats whats i was driving at believe me if the SHTF on global scale everyone is going to be after the same thing...and that is survival, whatever is left of the human race will probably kill themselves off in a very short period of time fighting over the last few resources,

Im pretty sure of one thing, if the world sees a crisis that require people to flee the city then we are talking WW3 and everybody loses

Whats left will be drifters, nomads etc, i think the world would be a very ugly place... its not far off that now !

Lone Wolf
Bournemouthprepper

i agree to an extent, it will be dog eat dog, it will be a massacre and many people will die. however if you prep properly and your clan survives, you'll be set to continue life.

for example, 2 months after major event 2/3's of british populus have dyed off; whether it be due to murder, starvation, thirst, illness. IF your prep clan can survive and make it to your BOL, you should have all you need and the skills required to start a new life. i have high expectations that if the SHTF and i do survive this on-coming doom that i would meet other preppies who have hidden and evaded.

humanity may be flawed, and there will be terrible events if TSHTF, however we still have morals, and im confident I, we can make it through the storm.
Bournemouthprepper

A good book which demonstrates the best and the worst of human nature when society collapses is Last Light, which details about the Peak Oil scenario.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Hi BP, just got in from work and have been catching up on some of your posts....and I got a headache :?

Just a few comments, and don't take them the wrong way.....
I agree, doing it on your own will never work
I disagree, it may be more difficult but it certainly wouldnt be impossible

Surely real prepping is for the major events?
"real" prepping is just what it says on the tin....preparing for lifes screw-ups whether thats a redundancy, power outage, car breakdown...in fact just about anything at all, it certainly doesn't have to be about the end of the world or some scenario based on BS Hollywood films where the hero does his best Rambo impersonation

i am unsure how many people on here actually do serious prepping
If you take the time to read the posts on the forum you would realise that the vast majority of people on here "do serious prepping"...thats why we are here

I'm working on a home made generator, i've been speaking to some of our US-counter parts about it and they've suggested a generator which will run on more than one fuel...
You could buy a genny cheap enough, Aldi was selling a petrol 2.4kw one for £150. Or as Lil says ..learn to do without, nothing will attract attention more than the noise of a genny. You say it is for long term scenarios...where are you getting the fuel from ?...do you know how much fuel they use ? mine uses 6 litres in 8 hours. A genny would be much more useful in a short term scenario.

Sorry if I sound a bit negative but I really think you need to sit back, slow down, and read the threads on this forum (and other UK based ones) to get an idea of what prepping is about in the real world. Prepping is about a hell of a lot more than who has the biggest gun/bunker, the end of the world, zombie hordes intent on killing everyone etc etc. Prepping is also about farming, preserving food, herbal remedies, canning, water storage/collection/purification, having a torch, growing veg on your allotment etc ....the list goes on and on. Of course an Apocolyptic event is possible....but in the real world (not the Hollywood world) you are far more likely to need your preps to deal with a localised power cut or a temporary fuel shortage etc

Again, sorry if I come across as a bit negative but I think you need to understand that this is a "preppers" site..... not a US Militia/Survivalist site, or a guns, bunkers, and beans site.
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

Surely real prepping is for the major events?
From a personal point of view....and this is very personal.
A couple of years ago my daughter made a lifestyle choice. I stood by her. As a result, I `lost` the rest of my family, including my two other daughters and my grandchildren, sister and dad (now dead) as they turned their backs on us and hounded us out of house and home, literally. I mean that. You`d think it couldn`t happen in this day and age but it does.
We were forced to leave where we lived (or both of us, mother and daughter, may well have commited suicide in despair) and move to where we are now.
All well and good. This place is one of the most remote in Scotland. The rent is cheap. But..
the stress of the past couple of years took it`s toll. I`m self employed (hide tanner and taxidermist) and couldn`t work. In a business already severely hit by recession this added insult to injury. The money I had in savings ran out.
With no personal transport (can`t drive anyway for medical reasons now) we have to rely on an erratic and infrequent taxi service. No shops nearby except a tiny local store. Nearest supermarket town over eighty miles away and no public transport.
So the cash ran out. I was still ill. The house, centrally heated by oil, ran out of oil and in two of the Highland` coldest winters, we shivered, caught frequent colds and were generally demoralised and miserable. Cold, prolonged cold, can sap not only your physical strength but your morale.

Food began to run out and we have been living on our prep stockpile, literally. Both of food, medical supplies and toiletries etc, plus cleaning supplies, you name it that you use in daily life, we have had to live off it for a lengthy time out of my stockpile I had put by for emergencies. Well, this has been an emergency.
Without that preparation and store, I doubt we`d have made it. Don`t believe for one moment that nobody slips through the governmental net and starves in Britain today. I was told I wasn`t ill enough to go onto disability, and would be penalised by having to wait two months for money if I gave up my work without `good reason` as they put it. Those two months would have seen me starve to death and my daughter, who`s benefits money, in a place where she can`t find a job for love nor money, would be paying the rent, water bill and rates and no, it wouldn`t have been enough for that.
So you see, the larger, global or geographically local SHTF scenarios, yes, plan for those. But for so many of us, personal emergencies happen more often and for us, can be just as devastating.
I sympathise so much with the people of Japan. If there was any thing I could do to help them, I would. But you know what?
My own emergency nearly brought me to my knees. I`m still `not there` in recovering. Still struggling.
All my prepping stockpile has gone now and I`m struggling to carry on, and more, to rebuild that stockpile because the previous couple of years has made me see what I left out of it, what I need to include, and how much, realistically (which I really believe everyone underestimates).
Such personal scenarios affect folks not only physically but emotionally. I honestly think more of the emotional stress and how to cope with it should be addressed in any prep situation and planning.
Myself and my girl get by. But I still can`t see the rest of my family, dad died without us reconciling, and I haven`t seen my grandbairns, nor do I know what they even look like now.
THAT for me, is my real life SHTF scenario. I`m living throught it.
So yes, prep for the `big stuf` but the best thing to do in realisty is prep for anything.
ETA, if you think folks here don`t adequately prep, think again. If I hadn`t made plans for what I thought I would need in an emergency situation I doubt I`d be here, able to type this out.
It was tight, extremely so, but with no cash, I was able to keep us fed, healthily (maybe boringly but, well...) and clean and see to very basic medical needs. Despite my illness I gathered deadwood to burn, sawed up old timber, and repurposed clothing and blankets etc to keep warm. When we had water outages, I gathered water myself from a nearby burn (stream) and filtered and sterilised it to drink and to cook and wash with.
We do fine, thanks.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

You're a survivor RD. You've walked the walk and all that gumf... it was a good thing to do, to post that on here. You will have helped and encouraged others. I've not had family breakups to cope with thank god, but I have had my share of everything else. And I have had bad winters with no money and I do totally know and agree with you the misery of real cold.
Keep on prepping hen :twisted: (no bloody option!)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Just thinking - we're all agreed that the best place to go when TSHTF is the hills - the more remote the better. But I know for a fact that most southern folk haven't got a clue how COLD/WILD/HORRIBLE IT CAN GET IN UPLAND SCOTLAND!! :mrgreen: So you'd need to be very prepared indeed before you came up here !
Bournemouthprepper

i dont like the cold :D For me its all about the urban BOL!
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

True. In fact the worst enemy, I`d say, this far north, is the weather. I`ve seen tourists arrive here in the middle of summer expecting heat and be chittering in their short and t shirts! :D Even in summer we can get snow, and minus temperatures. Anyone who`s ever done a survival course (or lived in Scotland!) will tell you how utterly demoralising the cold can be, how it can sap your energy in a heartbeat even if you have equipment and food etc.
I think for anyone coming north, and certainly this far north, think `arctic` and dress appropriately because you can always take it off but if you don`t have it to put on, you`ll chitter. ;)
Good boots are a must too, the terrain here can be hard on the ankles and knees, the grass and moorland when wet gets very slippery and boggy and you`d be surprised, on our hills, how far those bogs go down. Our local ranger, when out on the hills, never goes without a long pole to push in front of him into the ground in boggy areas to see how deep they go.
On the other hand, if TSHTF, and you guys make it up here, my wee hoose is cosy and comfy and the immediate surrounding area is walkable on. :D
Plus, I have drinking chocolate. :ugeek: