Retreate thoughts ?

Homes and Retreats
sniper 55

Retreate thoughts ?

Post by sniper 55 »

I have a long term retreat planned but it's a good-ish way from my home, (a couple of days walking) or an hour in the car. But it occurs to me that depending on what sort of SHTF situation we get, roads could be shut, or clogged up. So my thought was to make a sort of semi permanent wild camp away from home but close enough to walk to in say and hour or so. Then wait out the main drama then move to my long term place.
Now I know a lot will depend on what sort of crisis we might get, but it seems to me that if I have to bail out of my house but can't get to my retreat a ready built standby base could be handy.
I was thinking along the lines of a simple lean to but built rather than a tarp, well hidden perhaps.
Anybody got any thoughts on this idea?
grenfell

Re: Retreate thoughts ?

Post by grenfell »

I don't have any actual retreat or bug out place of my own to go to although have pondered about a friends place that is about 60 or 70 miles away. Assuming going by car is impossible then it's walking or biking . If I was walking , and as you say situations could be almost anything , bad weather , floods , no go areas or whatever I may only be able to make ten miles a day and possibly even less. As it's impossible to predict just how far you could get in a given time setting up a sort of semi permanent halfway house camp could be problematic . It also assumes those camps would remain undiscovered , potentially for several years. Carrying a bivouac gives you far more flexibility and security and allows for delays and diversions .
On the other hand , and I think it has been discussed on here before burying a small stash of food and water along potential routes makes more sense in my eyes. Main thing though is that at least the thing involves a good deal of forward planning which is always a good thing.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/pho ... y/81988536

Few bits of tin sheet per drilled "dumped," / covered in leaf litter in a bit of woodland for example providing you drag it far enough away from vehicle access so the local scrap man won't take it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I like those Andy ,interesting idea. One thing to consider for anyone thinking of that is that any strategically placed shelters must be classed as disposable . Even if they are not discovered by farmers , council workers , walkers or whoever and removed you won't be able to take them with you so will have to be abandoned . Quick eBay link to the type of shelters in Andy's link http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Agriculture-F ... arc&_frs=1
Another thing to consider if going down this route is to make sure they are not only well hidden but make sure no one sees you as a fine for fly tipping could very well be landing on your doormat .
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Thanks for the replies.
I was going to take my bivi with me anyway, my thoughts were if I had something more or less built then I can go there and not have to spend time making a camp, I know it's not long but if it's tipping down a roof is a big help.
If it's gone or lived in when I get there I'm no worse off than I would be otherwise, and I have a spot in mind thats pretty well hidden. I did build a tarp camp there before (many years back) that lasted a few years till a storm got it.
Trouble is theres so many variables, would it be found, what am I running away from and so on. It was just an idea, I was coming home in a howling gale and rain the other night and I thought that it wouldn't be a lot of fun trying to put up a shelter in that weather.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

What about digging a foxhole and covering with a sheet or two of corrugated iron? Assuming the water table isn't too high. ;)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
metatron

Post by metatron »

I've been to a few eco villages over the years and benders seem like a solid option for year round living.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcQ4wD10_Hw

Basically bend lots of hazel branches, the pile on a load of rugs and blankets and a tarp over that.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Brambles wrote:What about digging a foxhole and covering with a sheet or two of corrugated iron? Assuming the water table isn't too high. ;)
Actually thats not a bad idea. I'd have to check but it's up high-ish so the water table shouldn't be an issue. Ohhh now you've given me something to think about... Many Thanks.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

sniper 55 wrote: Trouble is theres so many variables, would it be found, what am I running away from and so on. It was just an idea.
Yes I think that's the stumbling block for most things and ideas , so many variables. Nearly every post on this forum could be prefaced with " well it depends on the situation/event" Then one has to consider how much money or resources to put into those different variables in the firm knowledge that some or all could be lost and just what else could it have brought.