Living in a van/campervan all the time.

Homes and Retreats
DustyDog

Living in a van/campervan all the time.

Post by DustyDog »

Ok, i may be leaving the missus in the future because of family problems, this may or may not be permanent, no need for any more details at mo.
So, i feel aggrieved at lining a landlords pockets, so have been looking at living in a campervan or converted van (the same thing really), brill in summer but not so brill in winter, i know you can line them with insulation etc, have ventilation so you can have a gas heater for warmth, the problem i see is, condensation from me sleeping and just being in there, i have a leisure battery and would use an inverter for power and maybe a solar charger, usb stick in my lappy for tv and mobile tethering for internet etc.
I know it isn't an easy life and it may not even happen, but in a reasonably nice area it can cost £400 just for a house share, or the same to rent a flat and then have the bills, so this way i could save something like £4000 a year, a considerable sum, that would add up over a few years, maybe towards my retirement, in 20 years. :lol:

Your thoughts please...
Up in the wet South Lakeland
cumbrianish

Re: Living in a van/campervan all the time.

Post by cumbrianish »

Forewarned is forearmed
metatron

Post by metatron »

I like the idea of a nomadic life, but I think in reality it would soon wear thin. The only comfortable way I can see long term would be a horse van, ups van or likewise and doing a conversion, as anything not high enough to stand up, would get old quick.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Cumbrianish, thanks for the link, but cant afford a kontiki, thinking of adapting a van (transit high top type), main concern is keeping warm in winter and being able to keep the condensation under control and keeping the leisure batteries charged at mo.

Thanks for all help.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

The more pratical is where you lie up for the night ,same spot and you'll be spotted , or worse broken in to . And also having an address for insurance , license details , and other "legal" things so somewhere your tied to . Sorry your having problems . There are plenty of you tube videos to look at vampers, and there conversions .
You could make it comfy . But long term ........

Have you looked into woofing ?
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
digi

Post by digi »

poppypiesdad wrote:
i didnt think this was that type of forum, im sure theres other ways to keep warm :p

Sorry to hear youre having troubles, i know of many people who live in the back of vans for long periods, but, generally only between around march to october, where to combat condensation they simply leave the window open a little bit, wont be much good in the middle of january when its -9 outside though
cumbrianish

Post by cumbrianish »

Dusty, even without the kontiki it's an interesting read especially about living through the winter.
Forewarned is forearmed
metatron

Post by metatron »

poppypiesdad wrote:The more pratical is where you lie up for the night ,same spot and you'll be spotted , or worse broken in to . And also having an address for insurance , license details , and other "legal" things so somewhere your tied to . Sorry your having problems . There are plenty of you tube videos to look at vampers, and there conversions .
You could make it comfy . But long term ........

Having a real address is not really an issue, I pay £15 a month in cash to a central London based shipping company that deals mostly with foreign students for one. Your business name, followed by their address and you can have anything delivered there.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

I haven't read this myself, but have it saved on my Amazon wishlist... it might be helpful. Written by an American though, so some things will be different.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1479215899/r ... 49UZ8A28MM
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Sorry for your troubles..........

Been there done that :D , fun in my twenties but would not fancy it now for the reasons given above and must admit I care more about the roof over my head these days as I did in my youth............

Have you though about something in between, :D I dont know what the options are where you live and what the cost is these days but back in the early nineties I had a small mobile home on a small residential park, I bought the place for £4000 and paid £7 per week :o ground rent , but there were guys on there just renting and it was a lot cheaper than bedsitland or sharing, was detached and you had a bit of land.............. :D

Loved it :D :D

Jase