Living in a van/campervan all the time.

Homes and Retreats
Jamesey1981

Re: Living in a van/campervan all the time.

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I used to live in a converted van while I went round working the festivals in the UK and Europe, was fun given that I was something of a hippie, but I wouldn't want to go back to it now, and it was seriously cold sometimes.
If I had to do something along those lines now I would go for a houseboat or narrow boat, will cost more to get yourself set up, so it may or may not work depending on your situation, but it would be a lot more comfortable long term, you'll have much more space, and depending on where you moor it you may well have access to power, post and fresh water for showering etc. You can also still move it if you need to, it'll be something of an adventure as they're slow, but people pay good money to pootle about in narrowboats on their holidays and you'll have your own one.
You can really go to town on boats if you want to, guy I used to know converted an old Cold War minesweeper into a houseboat, took him ages, but when it was done he had more space than I do in my house.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

My sister lived on her canal boat for a couple of years, very comfy and warm.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Cumbrianish sorry didn't mean to dismiss ur post, it is interesting and because I think I'll be working in different places so need the ability to move around, canal boat is bigger and warmer etc but doesn't give me the scope to move an really don't think I could afford one. Have looked at the woofing and that does I'll interesting too.
Thanks for all posts. DD
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

A dehumidifier would probably help with the condensation ...

And this might be a good place to investigate further: http://freemotorhominguk.boards.net/ I quite fancy the idea myself, in summer or pootling about on the Continent 8-)
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Been there done that too, lived in tents old caravans the back of a Lwb landrover,if it's going to be more than a few months line the inside with vapour barrier to prevent condensation on the inner panels. Get yourself registered on the tribal living forum there's loads of info including legal stuff. Have friends who still live full time in their 60s Bedford bus.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Thanks for all comments, seen loads of good stuff online, including woodburners and showers etc :o Just gotta see bout the money side of things. :D
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Just remembered another thing if you are based in one place join the local budget gym then you can go and have a shower there everyday. Watch out for height restrictions on car parks you need to use if the van is going to be your sole transport too.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

DustyDog wrote:Thanks for all comments, seen loads of good stuff online, including woodburners and showers etc :o Just gotta see bout the money side of things. :D
Life is always easier in a house though and at some point you'll probably want one. Even if you don't intend to live in one just now if you can afford to buy somewhere and let it out then you're on the ladder. I see being mortgage free the biggest prep going. They're relatively cheap at the moment. I don't know your circumstances but maybe a lawyer would give you a better idea of where you're at financially. You might not be as skint as you think, good luck with it all.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Used to own my own home 23 years ago, to old to get a 25 year mortgage now and even small house round here are 70+ thousand so realistically no chance, yes a house is better, but I also don't want to hit pension age with no money in the bank and only my state pension and my tiny private pension to live off, I figure I could possibly save around £20.000 over four or five years, then be in a better situation to settle in a house, again this all may not happen, if it doesn't, still wouldn't mind converting a van for camping hols. :lol:
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

preparedsurrey wrote:Just remembered another thing if you are based in one place join the local budget gym then you can go and have a shower there everyday. Watch out for height restrictions on car parks you need to use if the van is going to be your sole transport too.
Absolutely, a friend of mine was without hot water while he worked full time and renovated a house for approx 9 months. He used to 'go swimming' at the local leisure centre every morning before work - claims the showers there were great.................... :lol:
Knowledge is power