Scottish Off Grid / Preppers

Homes and Retreats
xplosiv1

Re: Scottish Off Grid / Preppers

Post by xplosiv1 »

fifer79 wrote:Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the site and have recently become interested in living off grid after watching and reading many things on the subject.

I am currently researching to convert aspects of my home into off grid living in preparation for a future plan to move into a completely off the grid home. As i go through this process i have decided to try and create a documentary looking at off grid homes, food, water, heating etc so i am looking for some scotland based people to visit and film.

If you are interested please comment below :)
Like previously said, I'd go as far as sharing Ideas but not to the extent of putting my face or home on camera for general release.

We preppers are a secretive bunch.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Island prepper

Post by Island prepper »

Hi Fifer, I echo the sentiments of the others in that I don't really want to broadcast my location but saying that, where I am located I can't really keep what I am doing a big secret from my neighbours. In case of a breakdown of civilisation on whatever level it'll be these neighbours who'll be calling and not anyone who would see a documentary as I live on an island. All the same we intend to have a lot more going on than what people can see (mainly growing stuff), so anonymity is preferable.
fifeprepper

Post by fifeprepper »

fifer79 wrote:Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the site and have recently become interested in living off grid after watching and reading many things on the subject.

I am currently researching to convert aspects of my home into off grid living in preparation for a future plan to move into a completely off the grid home. As i go through this process i have decided to try and create a documentary looking at off grid homes, food, water, heating etc so i am looking for some scotland based people to visit and film.

If you are interested please comment below :)
hi mate [I'm also a fifer lol my name might give that away] good luck with going off grid been looking into this myself I do like others like to keep a low profile so wont be available for video lol [stage fright] we are lucky with many areas locally where to set up camp as we have loads of woodlands around and acsess to fishing for trout pike perch I have a few bug out camps scattered around [not only in fife] but like to leave no trace that's why I use hammock tarp or small low profile tent or tipi/lavvu,good luck with your project sir ATB....colin. :)
Legiopatrianostra

Post by Legiopatrianostra »

I know I am reviving a dead thread here but this is also a desire of mine. To live off the grid and be totally self sufficient.

My plan is:
- to recycle rain water and filter through a carbon filter for clean drinking water.
- wood burning stove and to grow plenty of pine as it matures quickly.
- pigs and a methane recycling system for gas.
- solar panels and a few small wind turbines too.
- maybe a giant hamster wheel that my dogs can run in and utilise that to create electricity, more research needed on this idea.

Any other ideas please let me know. Would love to bounce some ideas off you guys and if you see some holes in some of my ideas please let me know.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Legiopatrianostra wrote:I know I am reviving a dead thread here but this is also a desire of mine. To live off the grid and be totally self sufficient.

My plan is:
- to recycle rain water and filter through a carbon filter for clean drinking water.
- wood burning stove and to grow plenty of pine as it matures quickly.
- pigs and a methane recycling system for gas.
- solar panels and a few small wind turbines too.
- maybe a giant hamster wheel that my dogs can run in and utilise that to create electricity, more research needed on this idea.

Any other ideas please let me know. Would love to bounce some ideas off you guys and if you see some holes in some of my ideas please let me know.
Rainwater through a carbon filter

Well currently won't comply with regulations and if there is air born pollution it will be washed into your storage tank and just a carbon filter just won't cut it
Think reverse osmosis and have a stock of filters as they may not be easy to come by post shtf

Emm grow pine you'll get cold before they are big enough to do anything with and it burns fast , that's why you burn hardwood , slow burning , good heat putput

Think Willow and you'll need a good acreage to grow enough to keep you going till the next growth is useable

Pigs /methane well yes and no
What you need is a Methane digester , think large tank such as a old milk tanker or gully tanker as you need to fill it with slurry , vacuum the air out then let the methane form , and take it off to power your stove , generator etc , then you'll need to empty it and refill it when all the aerobic digestion has ceased. Can be very time consuming and if you don't remove the air , explosive .
Plus you need a collection method ,like the cattle courts on farms .

Solar panels /wind turbines
Great when it's sunny and windy but you'll need a battery bank to store it so you can use it when you need it , and they will only have a 5 ish year span .

Giant hamster wheel , well who wouldn't want that . :)

Sorry to be negative , but if it ain't going to work no point in kidding you on .

J

We use a rainwater harvester to use as flush water for toilets , and the washing machine . This is demand switch activated powering a 240v pump ,so if no power no pump .

For a constant power output , hydro power a small stream hydro electric set up.But suppose depends on flow in stream ......
Jamie
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.