How to raise money for a home/retreat

Homes and Retreats
CynicalSurvival

Re: How to raise money for a home/retreat

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Sounds cool, Briggs. It's on the market? Woodland is definitely a plus.
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

CynicalSurvival wrote:Sounds cool, Briggs. It's on the market? Woodland is definitely a plus.
The woodland is definitely a plus because with a bit of tree-management it heats the house and provides hot water all year round, with oil as a backup. The CH and HW plus the downstairs power sockets can be run in a power down situation via battery or generator and I'm a little surprised at the viewers we've had, they tend to overlook this huge benefit. Although, so far most viewers have been people looking to 'Escape to the Country' and they don't appear to be quite ready to give up Tesco Express and Costa on their doorstep and live in a place where the nearest pavement is several miles away. We've had a few low offers, which may work when there's a chain but me and Mrs B are not desperate and we're quite happy to move to the woodland for six months or so. We've worked out that six months is doable after that we'll be in danger of turning properly feral.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've often heard it say that if you want to get rich quick or raise a lot of money quick you'll never do it by working , the only real options are either illegal or immoral. Leaving aside the first which admittedly wether it worked or not would probably solve the accommodation problem leaves us with the immoral method. To wit a little story. Many years ago a few friends and myself dreamt of getting rich and decided the best way was to use people's desires. Sex basically. My one friend while at university had with a couple of others responded to an advert in a contact magazine . The "lady" in question said she would meet them but as she had been messed around in the past could they all send her £20 each as a sign of good faith which see would return when they met . 'Course that was the last they saw of their money. The idea we considered was that of selling , ahem , used knickers. In the same magazine were adverts for them and if anyone cares to look on the 'tinterweb it seems there is still a market with prices around £15-25 a pair. Our idea was to buy a job lot of cheap ones , wear them ourselves ( bonus there as it would also reduce our own clothing and washing bills) and sell them on. We even considered bringing in a female friend to buy them in her name so we could legally say they were teenage girls knickers. The idea was also bolstered by a report we read about a guy in Germany who was running a similar scheme. However , he wasn't sending anything out and was only found out when one customer in something like five and a half thousand complained to the police or trading standards or what ever the German equivalent was that he had received nothing i.e. people don't complain about something which would look quite pervy and embarrassing.
We never did get rich though, we simply couldn't go through with the idea and ended up sticking to working for our money. I preferred to be frugal and make extra cash from stuff found in skips , nowhere near as quick but it worked , we're " comfortable" is probably the best description.