Barricading / Home fortification.

Homes and Retreats
Kris369

Barricading / Home fortification.

Post by Kris369 »

After fitting front and back security lights, along with properly securing the side gate with a good padlock, it occurred to me that I've done the best I can to protect myself. (Don't believe a monitored alarm is worth it, crack able and alerts you/police after the fact - Interestingly have two real but not connected boxes with battery connected led as deterrents)

So that's great pre riot/looting/shtf. But houses are full of glass windows and easily forced doors. (Safest housing is a Flat with a steel reinforced door) so in the event of anything and flooding. The plan is to retreat up stairs and place a barricaded door at the top, giving one protected point of entry and sit it out.

So thought I would share one of my ideas. Comments welcome. :)
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and keep it need to know.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
featherstick

Re: Barricading / Home fortification.

Post by featherstick »

There are security films that can be stuck on to existing windows. Cut down the light a bit but they will slow down someone who wants to get through a window.
unsure

Post by unsure »

featherstick wrote:There are security films that can be stuck on to existing windows. Cut down the light a bit but they will slow down someone who wants to get through a window.
the down size to thee films . stop a quick exit if ever you need it .
best option if you have room for it are pre cut boards , pop into place and wedge in with a good 3x2 . thats my idea anyway , also cut down on light leaving your property at night .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
fapplan

Post by fapplan »

unsure wrote:best option if you have room for it are pre cut boards , pop into place and wedge in with a good 3x2 . thats my idea anyway , also cut down on light leaving your property at night .

I'm interested in doing something like this. How would you wedge the boards in? Place them over the inside of the windows and then screw the 3x2s into the window recess??
Kris369

Post by Kris369 »

Would love to be able to board every window and door but that's 11 points on the ground floor for me, you then need to store the wood and sheets. ideally you would have all pre made and ready to go. I simply don't have the room, almost use the whole shed just for this.

The other main point was how could you possibly defend that many entry points?! One point in is the safest. All window upstairs are escape so many exits. All my solar set up, long term preps and stored water is upstairs/loft. So think if something happened could get myself secured in less than 15mins, which I like, or a simple enough design that the OH. Could do if I was out.
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and keep it need to know.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I would also find it very difficult to barricade the entries into my home. A detached house with dormer windows upstairs means there are just two many accessible entry points. It's something I need to give some thought to though.

I need some of those remote sentry guns from "Aliens" I think :)
Last edited by whenfires on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
unsure

Post by unsure »

fapplan wrote:
unsure wrote:best option if you have room for it are pre cut boards , pop into place and wedge in with a good 3x2 . thats my idea anyway , also cut down on light leaving your property at night .

I'm interested in doing something like this. How would you wedge the boards in? Place them over the inside of the windows and then screw the 3x2s into the window recess??
assuming you have a window recess , just jam it in the gap . screw the in if and when you feel the need to .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Kris369 wrote:Would love to be able to board every window and door but that's 11 points on the ground floor for me, you then need to store the wood and sheets. ideally you would have all pre made and ready to go. I simply don't have the room, almost use the whole shed just for this.
Off the top of my head but how about "storing " the boards as dado paneling ? Not in the way and will be kept dry , looks part of the decor until needed. It may even be possible to hinge it under a window if the sizes work out.
As a duel use if that panelling is hinged at the top it could be used to quickly form a raised platform for furniture in the event of a flood .
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Prickly bushes! I'm a lover of rose bushes and in front of my only window at the front are several beautiful but bloody sharp rose bushes. you have to wrestle through the bushes before smashing both panes of toughened glass.... then meet the homeowner who has 2 air rifles (for sporting reasons)
BaseOne

Post by BaseOne »

PreparedKent wrote: then meet the homeowner who has 2 air rifles (for sporting reasons)
Would you really shoot someone with an air rifle? Are you speaking about normal circumstances today or post SHTF?