Barricading / Home fortification.

Homes and Retreats
Plymtom

Re: Barricading / Home fortification.

Post by Plymtom »

Lets stick with the barricades shall we? Little will stop a hungry mob in the worst case scenario if they couldn't get in they'd soon if they were determined and bloody minded resort to burning you out, I've thought about this in the past, very few fortifications which have been attacked have ever withstood that attack long term, imagining scenarios past how can I make my home a little more secure if things turn nasty? well soon start sounding a bit too doomsday prepper for my liking, before you know it your playing rock, paper, scissors with a Zombie hoard :roll:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote:Lets stick with the barricades shall we? Little will stop a hungry mob in the worst case scenario if they couldn't get in they'd soon if they were determined and bloody minded resort to burning you out, I've thought about this in the past, very few fortifications which have been attacked have ever withstood that attack long term, imagining scenarios past how can I make my home a little more secure if things turn nasty? well soon start sounding a bit too doomsday prepper for my liking, before you know it your playing rock, paper, scissors with a Zombie hoard :roll:
My house is just a house, I love it but in real terms its not particularly defensible, especially for 1 (plus one conscientious objector :lol: ). Discretion would be my best defence, this thread is possibly heading down a similar vein to the "you're the only one with food in the street" thread but if you've got the only fortified house in the street its going to stand out like tits on a bull, people will start to wonder what you've got that you've had the forethought to protect like this. Soon 2 + 2 will equal 4 thousand and realistically, how defensible is your house, even with fire arms and the full world without law scenario (as opposed to having to justify your actions to the law after a couple of weeks of bedlam and law and order being restored which is marginally more likely). Unless you've got enough people (and weapons) to mount a 24 hour watch on all sides (including sideways from an adjacent property if its a terrace/semi) then you have to question the whole point of visibly fortifying your property, they're not really built for it and would only attract attention. Even if you could defend it, you would have to be certain that you have enough of everything including water to withstand the siege, its not like you could pop out and join the other scavengers searching for stuff if you've been blasting away at them.

I don't think we can imagine how 'unreasonable' people will be if they're hungry and pissed off with their lot and the nearest target (because that's what you'll be) is holding out on them. Its not a particular scenario I'm looking at but I'm more than happy to let my mind wander, its not likely to be Chuck Heston in The Omega Man, more the neighbours and the scruffs from the 'rough estate' who will be bothering you so if you're worried about them now then what do you think they'll be like when they're not restrained and have a feeling of justification (whether real or imagined) to 'rule their street'.

Sorry for the negative 'chi', I just think that anyone living in a town/city or even a village will struggle to fortify and defend their property unless they've already got big gates and walls and even then they'll not be immune. The angry mob will rule the day I think.
BaseOne

Post by BaseOne »

Deeps wrote:My house is just a house, I love it but in real terms its not particularly defensible, especially for 1 (plus one conscientious objector :lol: ). Discretion would be my best defence, this thread is possibly heading down a similar vein to the "you're the only one with food in the street" thread but if you've got the only fortified house in the street its going to stand out like tits on a bull, people will start to wonder what you've got that you've had the forethought to protect like this. Soon 2 + 2 will equal 4 thousand and realistically, how defensible is your house, even with fire arms and the full world without law scenario (as opposed to having to justify your actions to the law after a couple of weeks of bedlam and law and order being restored which is marginally more likely). Unless you've got enough people (and weapons) to mount a 24 hour watch on all sides (including sideways from an adjacent property if its a terrace/semi) then you have to question the whole point of visibly fortifying your property, they're not really built for it and would only attract attention. Even if you could defend it, you would have to be certain that you have enough of everything including water to withstand the siege, its not like you could pop out and join the other scavengers searching for stuff if you've been blasting away at them.

I don't think we can imagine how 'unreasonable' people will be if they're hungry and pissed off with their lot and the nearest target (because that's what you'll be) is holding out on them. Its not a particular scenario I'm looking at but I'm more than happy to let my mind wander, its not likely to be Chuck Heston in The Omega Man, more the neighbours and the scruffs from the 'rough estate' who will be bothering you so if you're worried about them now then what do you think they'll be like when they're not restrained and have a feeling of justification (whether real or imagined) to 'rule their street'.

Sorry for the negative 'chi', I just think that anyone living in a town/city or even a village will struggle to fortify and defend their property unless they've already got big gates and walls and even then they'll not be immune. The angry mob will rule the day I think.

+1

"Defending" an average house with anything less than 6-8 well-armed people is simply an unrealistic "prepper's fantasy". But there are lots of prepper pipe dreams in the internet. The biggest in my opinion is the, "bugging to the countryside with an air rifle and living off rabbits". I read once that taking account of the number of rifles and shotguns in the UK, the rabbit population of ~40 million would be wiped out in the first few days. It would be more realistic to suggest eating each other :lol: Maybe there's a subject for another thread...
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

BaseOne wrote: It would be more realistic to suggest eating each other :lol: Maybe there's a subject for another thread...
Go ahead and start one :lol: to be honest rather that than snails ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

BaseOne wrote:
PreparedKent wrote: then meet the homeowner who has 2 air rifles (for sporting reasons)
Would you really shoot someone with an air rifle? Are you speaking about normal circumstances today or post SHTF?
Post SHTF... I also have a X-Bow that would scare away most smackhead theives
jansman

Post by jansman »

As Plymton said, let's keep this to barricades. Please. Talk of weapons draws too much attention, and it is not our way here at UKP.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Think people quickly miss the basics of home defence / fortification ..

got a double glazed door? i can be in silently in about 45 seconds without a key....... (and ive done it now several times ((all legally ((lost keys)) )

[youtube]https://youtu.be/88m_Hk5ipI8?t=43[/youtube]

external beaded upvc windows?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/YOG6en6HRUg?t=20[/youtube]

spikey plants under windows.......

cut overgrown plants low so people cant work unseen...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAibu0dPyfk[/youtube]
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

The euro lock thing is amazing, the rest I knew, we're never all out and the alarm would alert us but to be honest I am going to have to change that, not good enough at all whether by an additional lock or something, but something will be done soon.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Think people quickly miss the basics of home defence / fortification ..

got a double glazed door? i can be in silently in about 45 seconds without a key....... (and ive done it now several times ((all legally ((lost keys)) )

[youtube]https://youtu.be/88m_Hk5ipI8?t=43[/youtube]

external beaded upvc windows?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/YOG6en6HRUg?t=20[/youtube]

spikey plants under windows.......

cut overgrown plants low so people cant work unseen...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAibu0dPyfk[/youtube]
The only answer is the hollowed out volcano (with liquid hot magma)....

Mwah ha ha ha.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Its quite popular in London to have retractable steel shutters that fold to either side of the windows, and then pull across to lock on the inside. They go inside the windows but behind the curtains so you don't see them during the day, then if you want to lock the place down you pull them across.
They're good in that they're visible from outside as a deterrent but they're also flat bar trellace type shapes that can't be bolt cuttered, you'd need a disc cutter or hacksaw (plus you'd have to smash out the window just to get at them).
Cost a few bob but as security goes they're bolted to the house securely and can be pulled across quickly.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864