Sanitation

Homes and Retreats
featherstick

Re: Sanitation

Post by featherstick »

CynicalSurvival wrote:It seems a shame to have toilets and not use them (assuming a bug-in scenario).

What about this (assuming 2+ toilets in house): disconnect toilets from main waste flow pipe and seal that pipe. Connect one toilet to a composting box in garden like the setup BaseOne explained, and connect its cistern to rainwater collecter, as Jaim described. The other toilet is to be used for pee only, no paper etc (add a mesh) and its pipe can go straight into ground soakaway.

Seems we might as well try to adapt the home comforts we have.

Compost toilets only work if they are kept dry - your proposed arrangement will lead to a flood of sewage. Better to collect rainwater separately for watering, other grey water use, or eventual purification for drinking.

If we ever are in this situation, I'll be taking the toilet bowl out altogether and replacing with a 25 litre bucket with a lid.
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

I have no probelem with taking a poop outside, when you gotta go, you gotta go.

There is a book available to help you, i dont acctually own a copy of it yet but i have been thinking of getting it for a laugh or two.

Its called "How to take a sh*t in the woods"

ISBN: 0898156270

"An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art" apparently!!!!

I have also seen reed beds used to filter out all the nastys before it flows back into a river,stream or soakaway, works well by all accounts.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

The-Mendologist wrote: I have also seen reed beds used to filter out all the nastys before it flows back into a river,stream or soakaway, works well by all accounts.
Whilst travelling we stayed at a place with a rather wet and soggy reed bed system, apparently their equivalent of the Environment Agency wanted the owner to provide a boat so they could paddle about and inspect it!!!
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

preparedsurrey wrote:
The-Mendologist wrote: I have also seen reed beds used to filter out all the nastys before it flows back into a river,stream or soakaway, works well by all accounts.
Whilst travelling we stayed at a place with a rather wet and soggy reed bed system, apparently their equivalent of the Environment Agency wanted the owner to provide a boat so they could paddle about and inspect it!!!
Hope they provide a paddle too otherwise they'll be.....
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

featherstick wrote:
CynicalSurvival wrote:It seems a shame to have toilets and not use them (assuming a bug-in scenario).

What about this (assuming 2+ toilets in house): disconnect toilets from main waste flow pipe and seal that pipe. Connect one toilet to a composting box in garden like the setup BaseOne explained, and connect its cistern to rainwater collecter, as Jaim described. The other toilet is to be used for pee only, no paper etc (add a mesh) and its pipe can go straight into ground soakaway.

Seems we might as well try to adapt the home comforts we have.

Compost toilets only work if they are kept dry - your proposed arrangement will lead to a flood of sewage. Better to collect rainwater separately for watering, other grey water use, or eventual purification for drinking.

If we ever are in this situation, I'll be taking the toilet bowl out altogether and replacing with a 25 litre bucket with a lid.

Actually in the course of work I've just come across the "water seal latrine". UNder the right conditions of soil porosity, space, drink water collection etc. it is possible to have a pour-flush latrine system that voids to a pit, and with a double chamber the matter can be dug out after 2 years to use as soil improver. The system only takes about 3 l of water per flush instead of our usual 20l, and needs to be built in a very particular manner, but could work in the right conditions.

I'd still stick with a more normal compost loo, especially as infrastructure and building costs would be much less, although handling would be greater.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_hea ... /fs3_6.pdf
Jaeger48

Post by Jaeger48 »

Part of our preparation kit are 5 gallon buckets to store supplies in. One of those buckets has some bin liners so that a bucket can double as a toilet. It's a short term solution that prevents contamination risk.
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

featherstick wrote:
preparedsurrey wrote:
Hope they provide a paddle too otherwise they'll be.....
:P
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
Island prepper

Post by Island prepper »

Hamradioop was talking about uses of urine, I've got a book called 'Liquid Gold' which actually provides loads of useful information. Sanitation is high on my list of priorities to sort out, I've got a site for a composter toilet, just need the time and money :roll: