My bug out location

Homes and Retreats
jansman

My bug out location

Post by jansman »

Here at Chez Jansman we have a very large garden. As I get (we get) older, it is too large. I have half down to food production, vegetables, fruit and livestock.
Anyhow, next year is our Silver wedding anniversary and we feel we should do something special. We don'twant to do the usual 'holiday-of-a-lifetime. The Duchess has always wanted a Summerhouse. Sooo... We are going to turn a third of our garden into a 'leisure' garden complete with garden house. For ten years we had a holiday home near the coast, and my Wife liked the idea of an alternative 'location' in case anything happened here.
So we are going to alter the top end of the property and put in a lawn, patio and Summerhouse. We shall insulate it, add power, and put in furniture. This will be our retreat, but also a place to go if anything happens to the house, be it fire flood or whatever.
The result of this redevelopment will be that my Permaculture gardening and square foot gardening will come to the fore. We are both looking forward to the project-especially the mini-bar! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Hamradioop

Re: My bug out location

Post by Hamradioop »

Great Minds LOL, sat in my BOL at the end of the garden, nice and warm with the calor gas fire on setting 1, Radio 4 playing on the Radio.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

That sound like pure heaven!! Lovely idea Jansman
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
MarketRaisen

Post by MarketRaisen »

Shouldn't your Bug Out Location be elsewhere be a bit further away than the other end of the garden?
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jansman, thats lovely! Great use of space :)

MR, I don't quite think you're getting the spirit of the thing ... older people in relation to individual shtf situations - a BOL at the end of the garden is a very good idea.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

MarketRaisen wrote:Shouldn't your Bug Out Location be elsewhere be a bit further away than the other end of the garden?

Depends on your point of view. My Bug out is for the likes of Emmerdale, Coronation street and Eastenders, I bug out Monday to Friday to escape that . :D :D :D
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Hamradioop wrote:
MarketRaisen wrote:Shouldn't your Bug Out Location be elsewhere be a bit further away than the other end of the garden?

Depends on your point of view. My Bug out is for the likes of Emmerdale, Coronation street and Eastenders, I bug out Monday to Friday to escape that . :D :D :D
:lol: :lol: excellent!
I call it a BOL rather tongue in cheek. However, the idea of an alternative place is uppermost in our minds.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

@Jansman

Please tell me your considering an insulated shipping container. A nice 20 footer with side doors will be the gift that keeps on giving! :-)
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Hamradioop wrote:

I have a sanctuary in the next room for poo TV but I'd love to get further away from it :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:@Jansman

Please tell me your considering an insulated shipping container. A nice 20 footer with side doors will be the gift that keeps on giving! :-)
Certainly not. It will be a pre-fab 'traditional' Summerhouse. A couple of neighbours have them, and I want to stay off the radar. Primarily it will be a leisure area, but with the capacity to be emergency accommodation for us or the family.
We have to alter the entire layout of our garden, but it will mean we can simplify our prepping activities, mainly because we have to dump clutter. As we all know, clutter is the enemy of good organisation.

Robert Frost.

Me.