My bug out location

Homes and Retreats
CynicalSurvival

Re: My bug out location

Post by CynicalSurvival »

jansman wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:@Jansman

Please tell me your considering an insulated shipping container. A nice 20 footer with side doors will be the gift that keeps on giving! :-)
Certainly not. It will be a pre-fab 'traditional' Summerhouse. A couple of neighbours have them, and I want to stay off the radar. Primarily it will be a leisure area, but with the capacity to be emergency accommodation for us or the family.
We have to alter the entire layout of our garden, but it will mean we can simplify our prepping activities, mainly because we have to dump clutter. As we all know, clutter is the enemy of good organisation.
Then surely the answer is to dig a large hole, put the shipping container in it and cover it with earth, and then sit your pretty summer house on top, with a nice emergency hatch under the couch ;)
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

summerhouse is a great idea, A retreat to chill out and de-stress, wouldnt like loosing any veg beds though,
but you can mix veg in with the flower borders. hope your plans go well
munchh

Post by munchh »

I like it, have you been watching George Clarke's amazing spaces?

ive been thinking of a solar powerd 6x10 shed at the end of my garden to try my prep/shtf ideas, the only problem would be getting rid of the 12' trampoline, the kids might not approve.

I wish I had more than thos postage stamp of a garden.

go summerhouse :D
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yes, we have been watching George Clarke! That is what spurred us on.
Regarding the veg beds, there will be no real loss. I have been messing with containers and square foot gardening for the last two seasons, with very good results I must say.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

CynicalSurvival wrote: Then surely the answer is to dig a large hole, put the shipping container in it and cover it with earth, and then sit your pretty summer house on top, with a nice emergency hatch under the couch ;)
Ah...yes...always fancied a hidden bunker under the patio at the end of the garden accessed via a pretty, girlie summer-house on top :D (Yes I know shipping containers can't be buried without muchos reinforcement). I like the post-modern juxtaposition of flowers and chintz with stainless steel high-tech. :D I think I watch too much tv. Perhaps I need to get out more...
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Oops...double post!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

I'm in my 'man cave' (shed) typing this, paraffin heater on, tea brewed on a Primus stove listening to The Archers then Desert Island Disks...life is good 8-)
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jansman

Post by jansman »

rik_uk3 wrote:I'm in my 'man cave' (shed) typing this, paraffin heater on, tea brewed on a Primus stove listening to The Archers then Desert Island Disks...life is good 8-)
I can't fault you. Especially your choice of radio listening. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bit of an update. The job is now complete. We sat on the wooden deck yesterday afternoon in the sunshine. Exactly what we envisaged, and good timing for the first good day of the year.
The Summerhouse has been insulated and has electricity. We have a tv, kettle and mini bar,along with a rather comfy leather sofa- which happens to convert into a bed should the need arise.
From the prepping angle there are quite a few additions. We have a generator that we can use should the cottage be unihabitable, and we have back up solar lighting too. The battery has usb points for charging phones and such as well. We have a solar/wind up radio, and a gas fridge too. Outside is a steel firepit/bbq, and rain catchment from the Summerhouse itself. If push came to shove (and I seriously hope it never does) there is a Sawyer water filter to process the water.
There are many other bits and bobs, and all done very tastefully - and expensively! But it has been a nice little semi- off- grid project. And a treat to ourselves too.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Well done Jansman!! It sounds perfect and as you said, just in time for the start of the milder weather!! Very cheeky but any pictures to share??
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.