Keeping warm without power

Homes and Retreats
featherstick

Re: Keeping warm without power

Post by featherstick »

A few years ago, SWMBO was away and DS (3 years old at the time) and I were left in the house. There was a snowstorm and subsequent transport and supermarket chaos (didn't bother us though).

I’m pretty warm-blooded anyway, so decided to do a bit of a trial. I didn’t turn the heating on, instead we layered up as much as we needed, to see how we got on. The house was a compact mid-terrace, 2-up, 2-down 1900 build with good insulation and draughtproofing.

I noted that the internal temperature got down to about 16C but didn’t fall any lower. DS and I wore slippers, socks, thermals, shirts, jumpers and occasionally an overlayer of fleece and were very comfortable. When going out we only had to put an anorak and boots on. Normal activity levels and hot drinks helped.

However after a week or so of this we both got colds. Difficult to know whether we would have done anyway as we usually do. But it was an interesting demo of how life can continue w/o central heating.
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

Growing up, the first time I lived in centrally heated accommodation was when I joined the RAF at 18.

When my family lived in Aberdeen all the heating we had in the house was two open fireplaces and one parrafin heater, we used to call it the dalek as it was that sort of shape, during the winter the windows used to ice up on the inside and we would pull our clothes into bed to warm them up before we got up and dressed. So keeping warm was a matter of wearing plenty of layers.

Currently I've been without central heating for about 12 years, it broke and I never got around to fixing it, and to be honest I really don't like going into houses with central heating running as it makes me too hot and I can end up feeling ill.

Bottom line is that you don't NEED central heating, it's just that most people have become so accustomed to it they struggle when it's not available.
jansman

Post by jansman »

It is true,you do not NEED central heating.We never had it when I was at home as a lad.When I moved I experienced it for the first time.I found it very overpowering to be frank.Stifling I would say.We no longer have central heating.It creases me when we visit the in laws.

Last year our boiler,only about two or three years old,died.Already obsolete! I made enquiries and it was so. Bloody expensive problem.Now we hardly ever used the central heating ( CH),I would test it every year,and when it was excruciatingly cold,we would run it.We relied,at that point, on two woodstoves and oil filled electric radiators where heat was needed.

Anyhow,the plumber came and told us that not only did we need the new boiler,but the radiators would need upgrading,and ALL the piping.This would mean walls chopped up,concrete floors up, carpets and boards up.We would have to move out! Not happening,nor an open ended cost of up to nearly ten thousand pounds.

So,we continue with our solid fuel stoves and now we have wall mounted carbon crystal panels throughout.Nothing has changed really,apart from not having to worry about the boiler going wrong! To stay on topic,I would say that my family have never been in the habit of walking around half - clothed.And I think CH has made that the norm in most homes,so if something goes wrong those folks think they are in the Third World. :lol:

We have triple glazing, good loft insulation and heavy curtains too.My wife is in the habit ( like both our mothers) of putting up Summer and Winter curtains.It makes a difference.Also ,we are carpeted throughout.I think the modern fad of laminate floors makes a house feel cold.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
redskies

Post by redskies »

featherstick wrote:A few years ago, SWMBO was away and DS (3 years old at the time) and I were left in the house. There was a snowstorm and subsequent transport and supermarket chaos (didn't bother us though).

I’m pretty warm-blooded anyway, so decided to do a bit of a trial. I didn’t turn the heating on, instead we layered up as much as we needed, to see how we got on. The house was a compact mid-terrace, 2-up, 2-down 1900 build with good insulation and draughtproofing.

I noted that the internal temperature got down to about 16C but didn’t fall any lower. DS and I wore slippers, socks, thermals, shirts, jumpers and occasionally an overlayer of fleece and were very comfortable. When going out we only had to put an anorak and boots on. Normal activity levels and hot drinks helped.

However after a week or so of this we both got colds. Difficult to know whether we would have done anyway as we usually do. But it was an interesting demo of how life can continue w/o central heating.

Being cold doesn't give you a cold, but it can lower your resistance to infection - when your Nan said wrap up warm or you'll catch cold, that's why!
shocker

Post by shocker »

Likewise I grew up without central heating and was told to put another jumper on if I was cold. Not that I would have dared to complain ! When your parents are the blitz-kids generation then nothing can ever be as bad as they had it in the war. Even more so after..wails of "The winter of 52 ! We all died of frostbite, twice, and had to eat your grandma" etc etc are still to heard to this day.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

We have a rule in our house if your cold put on a hat ,and if your really cold a jumper and coat but , one thing I've noted is ,if you keep active you keep warm, so even if your not that mobile do something to move about, learn a skill, weaving or something you can do inside sitting still is the worst thing.

We don't have open fires but one day we will in our little cottage(dreams and sighs) and gas central heating but its set at 10 degrees not to keep warm, but to stop the pipes freezing. I do have good insulation all round.

Also if you do outdoor things you wont feel the cold in the same way you sort of build up an immunity to it.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

jansman wrote:It is true,you do not NEED central heating.We never had it when I was at home as a lad.When I moved I experienced it for the first time.I found it very overpowering to be frank.Stifling I would say.We no longer have central heating.It creases me when we visit the in laws.

Last year our boiler,only about two or three years old,died.Already obsolete! I made enquiries and it was so. Bloody expensive problem.Now we hardly ever used the central heating ( CH),I would test it every year,and when it was excruciatingly cold,we would run it.We relied,at that point, on two woodstoves and oil filled electric radiators where heat was needed.

Anyhow,the plumber came and told us that not only did we need the new boiler,but the radiators would need upgrading,and ALL the piping.This would mean walls chopped up,concrete floors up, carpets and boards up.We would have to move out! Not happening,nor an open ended cost of up to nearly ten thousand pounds.

So,we continue with our solid fuel stoves and now we have wall mounted carbon crystal panels throughout.Nothing has changed really,apart from not having to worry about the boiler going wrong! To stay on topic,I would say that my family have never been in the habit of walking around half - clothed.And I think CH has made that the norm in most homes,so if something goes wrong those folks think they are in the Third World. :lol:

We have triple glazing, good loft insulation and heavy curtains too.My wife is in the habit ( like both our mothers) of putting up Summer and Winter curtains.It makes a difference.Also ,we are carpeted throughout.I think the modern fad of laminate floors makes a house feel cold.
Whoever that plumber was has told you wrong, if it a simple boiler change there's no requirement to change anything else.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
jansman

Post by jansman »

It was a thirty year old system,and we were told the same by two plumbers in fact.The first is a bit fly,always one to turn a quid.The second is a real Gent,must be ' cos he is ex - R. Navy! Joking aside,he is a stickler for regulations.

Anyhow,we were NOT having pipes running all over the walls,under, over and in your lady's parlour!

The system we have now is efficient. Each panel is stand- alone.Each panel is easily replaced ( its German with a 3 year warranty; the epitome of efficient) No annual service and no MAHOOSIVE several thousand pound bill when it goes wrong.Coupled with the solid fuel heating,we are toasty!

At work,the lads said " what if there's a power cut? " well,your gas system won't work either! No timers,ignition nor pump.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

We will be in a similar position if we can buy this place J. ATM the system is OK, it's a 1970's baxi Bermuda fire with back boiler in the chimney. It will need replacing and since your post we are now seriously looking at these panels. We just need a bit of advice on hot water heating now! Any suggestions? :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:We will be in a similar position if we can buy this place J. ATM the system is OK, it's a 1970's baxi Bermuda fire with back boiler in the chimney. It will need replacing and since your post we are now seriously looking at these panels. We just need a bit of advice on hot water heating now! Any suggestions? :)
We have gone to a simple copper tank with immersion heater ( and digital timer) The water has never been hotter.We were a couple of months without running hot water last year whilst the electrician slotted us in ( its worth waiting for a good sparky) and as we had an electric shower we coped OK.

For days after the installation, we could not believe we had running hot water again,after such a time without.

Our only gas consumption now is the humongous range cooker we have in our tiny kitchen! John tells me we have enough space on the consumer board to fit a circuit for the cooker too,when we go electric with that too.

Robert Frost.

Me.