Keeping warm without power

Homes and Retreats
xplosiv1

Re: Keeping warm without power

Post by xplosiv1 »

gamekeeper752 wrote:Rule in our house is

If your cold put a hat on, if your really cold put a fleece on.

The heating is on 10degrees to stop any pipes from freezing not to keep us warm.

We all spend quite alot of time outside in the elements, so we are not that effected by the cold anyway.

this house is the first I've owned which has central heating anyway, and everything before, was a case of ice on the inside of the windows in winter, in the morning.
not a bad plan at all but also depends on house construction and where the pipes actually are, I'm in Scotland and my house even with heating and stove off will never drop below 10 degrees even in winter but if I was to set my heating to 10 degrees the pipes would already be frozen solid as the pipes downstairs run through a crawl space (approx 3.5 feet in height) under the ground floor.

just mentioning this for others reading to keep in mind where they're pipes are and the temperature they may experience compared to where the thermostat is, most modern boilers will monitor the temp of the water in the pipes even wen the system is off and kick in to stop freezing anyway but with an older system its worth keeping this in mind.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Get good thermal curtains and don't forget the front and back doors also get normal curtains for the inter doors as they will stop drafts
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
roddas

Post by roddas »

I figured that one out due to the amount of power cuts we get here on the islands, because I have solar and wind turbine back up power which charges my battery banks, when the batteries are full I have a diversion controller which I use to dump the excess power into a inverter that is connected to a convector heater which is also handy when there isn't a power cut as it's pretty much always in dump mode so it reduces the need to have the central heating on