Bunker coming up for sale

Homes and Retreats
korolev

Post by korolev »

Just dropped in my inbox, might be of interest.

http://uniquepropertybulletin.org/ukwmo ... nd-bunker/
FlashPan

Re: Bunker coming up for sale

Post by FlashPan »

Ohh..I'll get my wallet

On a serious note, the Mrs would never know but if the lottery came knocking on my door I would seriously drop some money on something like this. And if possible build a normal house structure above.
Gordon's Alive!?
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

It's hardly the hollowed out volcano is it?
Even in it's day it was only good for it's purpose as apposed to survival for any length of time, am I right in saying at one point they would have been manned? and that the sole purpose was to witness shit hitting the fan, and contacting HQ to say yeah we're screwed sir!

What must we have now eh? I know the cold war ended and all that but but you can bet our current bunch of politicians have a cushy 5 star hidey hole somewhere which is kept totally secret. :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

There are plenty of these ROC posts around the country, and they're not much more than a buried concrete container, I really wouldn't want to spend more than a day in one of them, and i'll bet in the event of a bomb drop you'd be knackered anyway, the filtration would be woefully out of date and i'll bet most of the decontamination and safety equipment built into it is well past it's best!
For hiding in the event of civil unrest or if the zombies come knocking you're only really good for a short time before you run out of food and water, and i'd prefer to be out of sight on the ground than stuck in a bunker having to guess whats going on!

I suppose if it was well stocked it'd provide a few days respite from whatever was going on, maybe that'd be a welcome thing...
korolev

Post by korolev »

I've actually been in three bunkers including one of these. Around 1988 I had to go to fix the phone line in a place with an address of "On the hill behind Lewes Prison near the racecourse".
I followed the path up the hill as instructed and suddenly a bloke appeared out of the grass and gave a cheery wave.
Very poky inside and not somewhere I'd fancy spending much time in.

I also went to a house in brighton that had a full-on bunker under it; down a ladder inside a cupboard and through a 3 inch thick steel door into a room about 15 feet square with at least 2 other rooms leading off it.

And the BT civil defence bunker where they would manage the telephone network (or what was left of it) in the event of the balloon going up.

I tried, several times, to get a look in the Deep Level stuff in London but people were always too busy. Got to go there again soon so might have another go.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

My old man was in the ROC, he had his bunker to man, I wasn't bothered about going down it at the time, wish I had.

I've had the dubious pleasure of working down a few bunkers over the years, Pitreavie, Northwood and Whitehall. Whitehall is absolutely massive. I believe London is full of underground structures, I would imagine most government buildings of a certain age will have some, maybe even some other large institutions.

I have cellar envy now, never mind bunker envy. :(
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Deeps wrote:My old man was in the ROC, he had his bunker to man, I wasn't bothered about going down it at the time, wish I had.

I've had the dubious pleasure of working down a few bunkers over the years, Pitreavie, Northwood and Whitehall. Whitehall is absolutely massive. I believe London is full of underground structures, I would imagine most government buildings of a certain age will have some, maybe even some other large institutions.

I have cellar envy now, never mind bunker envy. :(
If I remember rightly Harods has one and it's own well.
defender130

Post by defender130 »

That sold either early this year or late last year, be interesting to see the price once it's announced

Has it been cleaned up for a quick profit or did the last sale fall through ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk