Keeping warm without power

Homes and Retreats
Posts: 4891
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Keeping warm without power

Postby jansman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:54 pm

I have no clue about bitcoin full stop! :lol: :lol:
Arzosah,the carbon panels work well for us here in our cottage.We have a series of smaller rooms,all with doors.I know that ' doors' may sound daft,but several neighbours have knocked their places about and gone open plan.The panels are great in those smaller enclosed rooms.We bought one to start with,and put it in our bedroom.It worked a treat! Put a timer on the plug and it goes on and off when needed.We then rolled 'em out to the rest of the house. Hope that helps.
'Yesterday is history,tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift.'
Josephine Burgess.

Posts: 3098
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Keeping warm without power

Postby Arzosah » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks jansman! It's basically a really, really efficient heater powered by leccy ... The stats I found were impressive. Amazing how tech moves on, and we have a whole new range of heating I've never even heard of :? :oops:

Posts: 4891
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Keeping warm without power

Postby jansman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:15 am

Arzosah wrote:Thanks jansman! It's basically a really, really efficient heater powered by leccy ... The stats I found were impressive. Amazing how tech moves on, and we have a whole new range of heating I've never even heard of :? :oops:

Tech does move on.My plumber,a very intelligent ex Navy chap, was aware of this technology when I told him what I was going to do.He didn't dismiss it to be fair.I found it somewhat ironic that removal of the central heating system was £130,but installation of a whole new system somewhere close to £6000 and then replastering/carpeting/floor boarding/re concreting/decoration/tiling blah blah .was ....well you add it up!

OK We have solid fuel stoves, ( you don't need these panels to back up those stoves!) When you are not lighting up ( breakfast before work?) They are brilliant.The panels, timers ,all worked out at about 600 quid.A tenth of the price of the original quote! And when it goes wrong,each unit is stand alone and replaced by ... Me.No expensive call out charges,sharp intake of breath and a tradesman wetting himself with at excitement as he says," you've had the cowboys in here mate,this'll cost you!" :lol:
'Yesterday is history,tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift.'
Josephine Burgess.

Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Re: Keeping warm without power

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:34 pm

I've got a couple of huge woolly jumpers and scarves that save the day. One interesting thing: a few years ago I was attending a Herbal Medicine workshop in Autumn. I was cold all day. My tutor gave me Angelica tincture. Half an hour later I was taking my jumper OFF as I was too hot! Works a treat.

Posts: 4891
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Keeping warm without power

Postby jansman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:I've got a couple of huge woolly jumpers and scarves that save the day. One interesting thing: a few years ago I was attending a Herbal Medicine workshop in Autumn. I was cold all day. My tutor gave me Angelica tincture. Half an hour later I was taking my jumper OFF as I was too hot! Works a treat.


I think we need to wear more clothes,just like our very close ancestors did.Its rather a modern trend to walk round the house half dressed whilstvthe heating is on full bore. :lol:
'Yesterday is history,tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift.'
Josephine Burgess.

Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:31 pm
Location: Wessex

Re: Keeping warm without power

Postby gamekeeper752 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Rule in our house is

If your cold put a hat on, if your really cold put a fleece on.

The heating is on 10degrees to stop any pipes from freezing not to keep us warm.

We all spend quite alot of time outside in the elements, so we are not that effected by the cold anyway.

this house is the first I've owned which has central heating anyway, and everything before, was a case of ice on the inside of the windows in winter, in the morning.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea

User avatar
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: Keeping warm without power

Postby Deeps » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:44 pm

jansman wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:I've got a couple of huge woolly jumpers and scarves that save the day. One interesting thing: a few years ago I was attending a Herbal Medicine workshop in Autumn. I was cold all day. My tutor gave me Angelica tincture. Half an hour later I was taking my jumper OFF as I was too hot! Works a treat.


I think we need to wear more clothes,just like our very close ancestors did.Its rather a modern trend to walk round the house half dressed whilstvthe heating is on full bore. :lol:


I've been a fan of this for years, met up with some old flat mates at the weekend and one of them even mentioned about me not wanting to put the heating on and to put a "**** coat" on. I'm quite hot blooded don't really suffer from the cold that much so its maybe easy for me to come out with this stuff but its always struck me as an 'easy fix' and cheap too.

gamekeeper752 wrote:Rule in our house is

If your cold put a hat on, if your really cold put a fleece on.

The heating is on 10degrees to stop any pipes from freezing not to keep us warm.

We all spend quite alot of time outside in the elements, so we are not that effected by the cold anyway.

this house is the first I've owned which has central heating anyway, and everything before, was a case of ice on the inside of the windows in winter, in the morning.


I grew up in a house built in the 1830's and we were stuck with the old windows, until we got the central heating we had ice on the inside sometimes too. I still mind running down to get dressed in front of the fire in the living room. I'll not call it Halcyon days but it was what it was and I'm none the worse , honest.

Posts: 2990
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Keeping warm without power

Postby Yorkshire Andy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:57 am

"put your coat on love!"

"Where you taking me?"

"Nowhere I'm off to the pub and I'm turning the heating off!"


;)


I work outside and in winter I walk into a unheated barn and it's "warm"....

I remember as a kid my dad fitting secondary glazing over the single glazed wood frame windows . Think we are breeding a generation of soft kids the 14yo was walking round Whitby in his hoody last weekend . I was melting in shorts and a shirt..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

User avatar
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: Keeping warm without power

Postby Deeps » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Yorkshire Andy wrote:"put your coat on love!"

"Where you taking me?"

"Nowhere I'm off to the pub and I'm turning the heating off!"


;)


I work outside and in winter I walk into a unheated barn and it's "warm"....

I remember as a kid my dad fitting secondary glazing over the single glazed wood frame windows . Think we are breeding a generation of soft kids the 14yo was walking round Whitby in his hoody last weekend . I was melting in shorts and a shirt..


He might have been having a 'bad hair day', my brother in law used to wear a hoodie or a beany hat if this happened. A big bloody 6'4" stone mason worried about his hair. :lol:

Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:03 am
Location: Calne

Re: Keeping warm without power

Postby MAiwick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:33 am

Since leaving home ten years ago, I've never had central heating. In student digs we were pretty old school and left it off... once left a gammon out in a bowl of water to defrost and it ended up freezing the water. The worst with that kind of cold is not being to dry clothes, and the inevitable cold nose!

More recently, I've had rented places where the heating is economy 7 storage heaters. Rather than wrap my head around using the bloody things, I just didn't put them on. The shower was electric, and I boiled kettles to do the washing up. Becomes normal after a while! I was in a flat though, so was technically leeching heat off the others around me.

In my own flat now, with under-floor heating. Haven't put the underfloors on, but it's keeping the tank of water warm for the taps. Seriously worried about my first bill :D

I struggle with houses where the heating on full blast - start sneezing from the dry atmosphere and resist stripping off so get way too warm!

PreviousNext

Return to Homes and Retreats

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest