Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
ukpreppergrrl

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

grenfell wrote:One was a customer who had their house entered by the very simple act of the burglar ( technically I think they should be termed housebreaker as the offence occurred during daylight) who threw a large concrete garden ornament through the French door .... The concrete slotted posts and panels are very common
Interesting you mention both of those, some scrotes used the latter and chucked it through the double-glazed window of my friend's flat to break in. They must have been built like brick shithouses because the concrete post hit the wall on the other side of the room some 10 feet away opposite the window :shock: Now if only they could put all that effort into, say, hammer throwing, we'd have some more olympic gold medals!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

I once lived in a grotty flat, in a high crime area.
If I was every going to be away for a day or two, I had lamps in the living room, bed room and bathroom, all on timer plugs. All set to go on and off at set times though the evening, and up to about midnight. Depending on the time of year, I'd set them to come on for a little while in the morning.

In another area I lived which was nicer, but still highish in crime, someone tried to break into our patio doors.
They were simple wooden frame ones, with a single deadbolt. Enough force could burst them open outwards.
I fitted two deadbolt catches, one per door, that slotted into the top of the frame.
The scumbags tried once more, but had no luck. 8-)

Same house, different occasion. Local douchbags were fence hopping and breaking into peoples sheds. The first I heard of this crimewave was one night. I was asleep but woke up to crashing and swearing in the garden.
As this happened only shortly after the patio door event, I assumed the worst.
So I snuck out the front door, round the side of the house and charged into the back garden, carrying something sharp and pointy I grabbed on the way.
I found 2 guys untangeling themselves from chicken wire. Twits had leapt the fence, and landed in the chicken run.
Shouting loudly, I ran at them (I know I know, stoopid) and they swiftly hopped the next fence and ran. I suppose me, with a big sharp pointy, and only a pair of underpants on was to much for them.

After that, I strategically placed 'clutter' around the edges of the garden. Next fence hopper to try would be risking a busted leg. :twisted:
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

I may or may not have a dog!
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

mightymayesy wrote:I may or may not have a dog!
MM
As discussed elsewhere, if you have got a dog, advertising that it might be dangerous (Beware being a warning) doesn't do any dogs any favours.

As someone who has the occasional run in with ne'erdowells I steer clear of them when I have my dogs, they're soft as shit (the dugs) but I don't want some wee scumbag to muddy the waters with crap about me threatening them with the dugs. Best keep the dugs as innocents mate, assuming that A. you have one and B. you care for it.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

Britcit, your story reminds me of a pal of mine, similar thing, fence hoppers, this time in the day.

So, 3 blokes jumped his fence, first 2 got clean away, the 3rd was confronted by my mate wearing only his board shorts (he's tall and skinny so must of been a real sight) - his only deterrent was one of the kid's Disney Mickey Mouse pink plastic flagpoles with a flag on the end in his hand that he'd just grabbed as the first thing to hand when he heard the commotion, nothing lethal about it - but the villain ran away quickly, guess a lot of opportunist thieves don't want confrontation, or the more implausible you look the scarier you are.

one more thing, my neighbour has a builders bag of assorted rubbish on the drive following building a wall, i've asked him if i can have the few remaining bricks that are on the top of the pile under the pretence of wanting them for something - really I'm worried an oportunist could put them through the front window or car windows.

Just keeping your eyes open is sometimes enough..
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Get a load of this simple upgrade.
I use them when out for the evening / weekend / on holiday etc.
TV light simulator and plug timer switches.
One upstairs and two downstairs and all at random times.
Appearance of someone at home in my opinion.
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
oldman

Post by oldman »

Hi all,

Looking at the picture of the torch behind the door I'd like to make a couple of points ...

The bad men know everyone keeps something there, they're not going to knock, just bash the door in and now they are between you and the torch.
The hinges are on the right, this means you are going to working left handed if you are trying to keep the door closed.
The door has a large glass panel, the bad men can look in and see you coming to the door.

Bad people come in in a number of ways depending on the type. Assuming the front door is the target we then have to assess the kind of bad man that is trying to get in.

1) The Junkie. This guy is only looking for things he can sell, he's not looking for a confrontation, he will knock on the door and if you answer it will be "Sorry, wrong house", if there is no answer then he will force the door and grab your Xbox and run. If you have a drug dealer in your local area expect this guy.
2) The Gang. This is more of a "gangsta" thing so unless they get the wrong address or you're a drug dealer it's not something normal people have to worry about. They will ring the door bell and step back from the door. When you unlock it the will charge the door and come crashing in before the door is open, knocking you on your ass.
3) The Police. Just watch YouTube to see how that works. It's not something we will cover unless you want a draw bridge and portcullis.
4) The Hit Man. Again, unless it is a mistaken address it will be unusual but with that glass panel a hit man would just ring the bell and blast you through the door with a 12 bore when you walked up.
5) The Professional. This guy will just pick the lock and be in. If you are sleeping the first you know will be when he is standing at the foot of your bed holding your torch.

In all these cases your torch is going to be of little use where it is. Many times I see things behind the door, walking sticks, machetes, base ball bats, etc it's just wrong.

First, as there is a wall to the right I assume the space opens out to the left (Living room?), stand to the left of the door and have your torch on that side. Now you're working right handed. If they hit the door hard you will not be knocked off balance.

Second, get rid of that glass panel. Either replace it of fit a curtain.

Fit recording CCTV on the front door. You can now see who is outside and assess the risk before opening the door. If it is a bad man CCTV will act as a deterrent and will provide evidence for the resulting trial. If you don't know who it is don't answer the door!

Stay Safe.

Oldman
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

mightymayesy wrote:Get a load of this simple upgrade.
I use them when out for the evening / weekend / on holiday etc.
TV light simulator and plug timer switches.
One upstairs and two downstairs and all at random times.
Appearance of someone at home in my opinion.
MM
That's one thing we don't have to worry too much about, I think their may be only a couple of hours in any 24 where all 5 of us are asleep, and less then 1 hour in a whole year when we could possibly all be out at the same time ;)

Good idea though and even if you're not out, if you're the sort who turns everything off and goes to bed, you could appear as far from in as it gets to a random burglar, a determined one would have watched for a while first, and they need rich pickings for that sort of commitment.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
shocker

Post by shocker »

As Tom says, a random housebreaker will be put off but the pro, targeting, follow-you-home type will be wise to this dodge. Randomness is the key.

However, Mayesey- some food for thought: You have published pictures of a well appointed and kitted out home, with your house number and many of your security details (I'm sure you have more though ;) ) on an open forum on the World Wide Web.

With your IP address (simple to get) , the info and the pictures, it would be a relatively straightforward task to find your home...

...and thus one is targeted.

Now, I do not know how likely, or realistic even, the above scenario is. Im not involved in any security work nowadays and dont live in a town so Im no authority on the subject. It may be a bit far fetched, but as I say, food for thought. Dont go taking all your photos down and deleting all your posts either - I would have thought that anyone that way inclined would have screen-shot them all if they were indeed of that much interest to villains.

Far fetched ? Maybe, but a friend in Sheffield told me he couldn't own a Land Rover anymore as it had gone beyond people following him home so they could steal it from his drive (after breaking in to get the key,natch) all the way to running fights between car loads of crooks. They would all be following him to find where he (and the Landy) lived and fight over who had the best claim on stealing his vehicle.

Now...that sounds pretty unlikely, doesn't it? But its true, I checked up with serving police friends, and not uncommon.

So, maybe home security is best served by not giving too many details to the world at large. Food for thought, no criticism intended. 8-)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.