Where to live post SHTF?

Homes and Retreats
Hamradioop

Re: Where to live post SHTF?

Post by Hamradioop »

i would suspect that any defensible castle e.g. Warwick would be taken over by the military/government b4 you even got a look in.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Personally I think the best place to ride out the SHTF is somewhere the bad guys can't find me in the first place. Having to spend the huge amount of work involved to defend a castle that can be seen for miles, or sit in a small shed that they cant find to attack? Me I'm for the quiet life every time. ;)
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Can i join you please :)

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
woodsman1

Post by woodsman1 »

The castle is a good idea for a group of peeps looking for some shelter / protection until some law and order is brought about. Yes its a big target but there's not many people out there carrying sniper rifles ect. at most shot guns and air rifles unless the castle was in America, :P there's not going to be too many JCB's readily available too or fuel to run them. your only talking 2-3 months before some sort of order is back in the land (hopefuly) so until then your biggest threat is a hoard of hungry peeps armed with sticks knives and the odd shot gun. unless there preppers then your doomed :lol:
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Talking about castles has made me wonder whether survivors would rally round the Royal family. Certainly the army might do.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sethorly wrote:Talking about castles has made me wonder whether survivors would rally round the Royal family. Certainly the army might do.
Hmm, can't say for sure but I'm not sure how many would 'rally' when they're not getting paid. If they're here in the UK they might be more worried about their own families rather than the royal one. Some might stay to start with because they've been told to but the longer things go on the less likely people are to toe the line. I can say hand on heart that I'd have been off in the kind of situation we're talking about but I was navy, encouraged to think for ourselves a bit more.........

Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

There are groups, such as the one I belong to, that would positively be quite happy living in a world that has gravitated to an elder time and mind-set.
If fact our group/s being folkish already have an established order of social rank, and number in the many thousands world-wide.
Fortunately for me, alliances between the differing hearths and differing versions of the Elder ways and faiths we practice are healthy, most being able to put aside the minor differences in lore we interpret differently.
The mob I belong to DO have one MAJOR disadvantage, it's getting everyone in the same place safely.
One of our members lives in Kent and would need to cross the Queen Bet Bridge, a place that would make a bad place to travel to or across in the described scenario of the OP.
I could sail across from our BOL to pick up the wayward Kentishman but a boat coming ashore would likely be a danger to myself or the person waiting for pick-up.
I tend to agree that the staff of a structure that offered a large amount of protection would be filled with the families of said staff from the get-go.
The place we are heading to you would think that is inhabited by saints. but as we know, in desperate times saints become devils for THEIR own protection and survival. Something to think about.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

poppypiesdad wrote:Can i join you please :)

J
Entry fee a large mars bar and a mug of tea. ;)
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Done :D
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
junmist

Post by junmist »

The only trouble with your thinking is that everyone else will have thought of it as well so it will be first come first served or who can hold it the longest off the top of my head I can think of at lest 5 ways of getting someone into a castle to open a door to let me in so I can kill you and take all your stuff or a more likely way is to just lay siege and wait till you starve that's how most castle were taken in the old days.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle