End of solar power, feed in tariffs !!!!!

Homes and Retreats
Kris369

End of solar power, feed in tariffs !!!!!

Post by Kris369 »

Ok so a few days ago the government announced the end of supportive feed in tariffs for small scale solar systems from 14p/kW to 1p/kW. Starting 1st Jan 2016.

Having just installed two large solar panels and a grid fed inverter. I'm over joyed by this news that they would rather support environmentally damaging, greedy fossil fuel based energy companies making more money. :oops: :twisted:

So rather then just wasting my money and giving way the energy we produce, I'm now looking into large scale storage, as this is now the only way to benefit from a expensive outlay.

Be interested to hear from others who have grid feed solar systems, and their reactions/solutions.
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and keep it need to know.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
Cougar

Re: End of solar power, feed in tariffs !!!!!

Post by Cougar »

Be worth you keeping an eye on what the Tesla company are doing as they are actively working on home power storage solutions.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
Bad Wombat

Post by Bad Wombat »

The consultation document is here. The Executive Summary para 6 states "existing installations will not be affected by the proposed changes to tariffs and caps.".
Kris369

Post by Kris369 »

Thanks for the info wombat, put me at better ease. Hopefully will last but have my doubts.

Will say i would not have got a system without the tariffs, really think this proposal will kill off a lot of domestic uptake. 1p/kWh is ridiculous.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
Bad Wombat

Post by Bad Wombat »

Kris369 wrote:really think this proposal will kill off a lot of domestic uptake.
I think you're right!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Kris369 wrote:Ok so a few days ago the government announced the end of supportive feed in tariffs for small scale solar systems from 14p/kW to 1p/kW. Starting 1st Jan 2016.

Having just installed two large solar panels and a grid fed inverter. I'm over joyed by this news that they would rather support environmentally damaging, greedy fossil fuel based energy companies making more money. :oops: :twisted:

So rather then just wasting my money and giving way the energy we produce, I'm now looking into large scale storage, as this is now the only way to benefit from a expensive outlay.

Be interested to hear from others who have grid feed solar systems, and their reactions/solutions.
I am glad you have come to this conclusion. I do not have solar panels on my roof. However, it baffles me why there is no well advertised solar generated storage system. If I had panels installed I would not care about back feeding energy, J would want an autonomous system. Am I correct in thinking that if there is a power cut, a standard solar system will not work as it is connected to the grid?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kris369

Post by Kris369 »

Due to cost saving and lifetime of deep cycle batteries, I personally chose a grid tied inverter which continuously returns all unused power to the grid. Which as you say turns off in the event of a grid failure.

However I have a small secondary system and a ups circuit to keep certain items like fridge/freezer, radios ect. Powered, the solar power then charges these until full and grid turns back on. In the event of something happening I can light all rooms using 12v lighting, power my comms and have enough to keep fridge,freezer powered indefinitely. Obviously as I only have limited storage ATM, in the event of long term blackout I could not store all I produce but can easily add car batteries to achieve this.

jansman

Post by jansman »

That sounds as though you have the best of both worlds! Thankyou for the info. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

This was news that really upset me. Removing the incentives will make it less likely that people will get solar and that will be detrimental to the rest of the environment. It also means that Nuclear will get a boost and that can't be good.
Still we can always wait until the Gravity light becomes retail and hope we can learn to wire up many of them to keep ourselves in basic power if things go south.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Kris369

Post by Kris369 »

The gov and energy companies will continue to charge the green fee's though!

No subsides for green solutions but they will continue for fossil fuels and nuclear :roll: Heaven forbid them let anyone become self sufficient and not reliant on the state and have nothing to tax us on! :lol: