Keeping things secure

Homes and Retreats
Holomon

Re: Keeping things secure

Post by Holomon »

90. wrote:I later made a small serrated wedge that lived in my case, & used itto wedge the door closed before going to sleep, over the next year I was woken on two occasions with people trying to get into the room after a night on the pop, on one occasion it happened 4 times in one night due to a wedding party at the hotel.
That is an excellent point, can't believe I forgot that. I've had the same thing so I always take a rubber door wedge with me if I have to stay in a hotel.

Thanks!
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

i too use the wedge in my hotel door when i stay away.

when i was in vietnam on holiday the couple in the room next door had a fella let himself in during the early hours under the pretext of collecting their luggage to put on the bus, they woke up and rumbled him just in time..

Great thread topic btw.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Am I missing something here? Surely people can't just walk into hotel rooms nowadays with card reader locks? I like the idea of door wedges, but would worry that it would be harder for staff to get people out if there was a fire. A good idea to look into all forms of security, but wondering why I suddenly feel the need to buy a handcuffs key ;).
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Look on YouTube most electronic locks are easier to override than a conventional lock. Be it by fake master keys skimmed off a cleaning trolley or plugging in a laptop or PDA to a diagnostic / service port or a wired card

Or a fishing round under the door
Have a look on YouTube
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Then look at the humble hotel safe.... And how easy they are to open
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

FEISTY wrote:Am I missing something here? Surely people can't just walk into hotel rooms nowadays with card reader locks? I like the idea of door wedges, but would worry that it would be harder for staff to get people out if there was a fire. A good idea to look into all forms of security, but wondering why I suddenly feel the need to buy a handcuffs key ;).
You'll hear the fire alarm as most places have regulations requiring hotels to have sounders in your room. But them banging on the door will work just fine. I doubt hotel staff will have time to physically enter rooms in the event of a fire because of the number of guests/rooms per staff working.

Electronic locks can be fooled with bits of kit if you're clever enough to put them together, but they also rely on specific manufacturers and models to do so. And even then they don't work all the time. It's far easier as Andy says to just nab a maid's master card, but that requires being lucky enough for someone to leave one laying around, or for you to somehow get it from the maid.

The safe is a pain as it's in a hotel, and hotel guests are usually thick and forget their codes. So if it doesn't have a tubular lock hidden behind the logo as a bypass, it will have a master code. Decent hotels will have a code which changes depending on the room you're in (using the room numbers to shift the code along or similar), but cheap hotels like the ones shown on youtube leave it as the default "000000" because they can't be bothered.

Everyone needs a handcuff key though :D
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Intreasting thread lock snapping is becoming a big problem I work in this sector and carry the tools listed except handcuff key
One thing I do recommend a lotis buy a beware of the dog sign may deter a casual burgular who dosent know if you have a dog or not only a couple of quid not much to lose