Great advice for new preppers living in an urban environment

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
itsybitsy

Great advice for new preppers living in an urban environment

Post by itsybitsy »

http://apartmentprepper.com/?p=1001

I really enjoy this blog in general, but I thnk the latest post is especially helpful for those of us who live and work in a city and are just starting our preparedness journey.
scoobie

Re: Great advice for new preppers living in an urban environ

Post by scoobie »

That is such a good article.. I'm going to link to it from the main site...
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

scoobie wrote:That is such a good article.. I'm going to link to it from the main site...
It's great, isn't it? Down to earth, sensible, REALISTIC advice. You can subscribe direct to the blog - I get an email once a week or so - she updates it pretty regularly.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

That looks good, less paranoia and more sensible advice than a lot of sites
southernPrepper

Post by southernPrepper »

I'm still to be convinced that a city would necessarily be a bad place to be if TSHTF.

I figure that a lot of people will leave and you'll be left in a very resource rich environment. Certainly easier to find food in a city than on Dartmoor.

I suppose it depends on the number of zombies. :lol:
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

southernPrepper wrote:I'm still to be convinced that a city would necessarily be a bad place to be if TSHTF.
On balance I'm probably with you on that, there are plus's and minus's to both rural and urban survival. I would probably prefer to be out in the sticks if there was a total breakdown but if there is still some sort of system working then food and medical supplies would be handed out to the larger population centres first.

Different maybe in the US or Canada etc where there are millions of square miles to lose yourself in if you were that way inclined but in the UK (with the possible exception of parts of Scotland) no matter where you are you will be within easy reach of people from towns and cities.

Dont get me wrong, if you offered me a smallholding miles from anywhere I would jump at it but it certainly isnt as clear cut (Rural=good, Urban=bad) as some would make out.

You just got to make the best decision that fits your lifestyle, no one is right or wrong in my opinion...they just have different priorities or obligations and need to prep accordingly.

One comment that amuses me is people who say they are "living in their Bug out location".... you what ? :lol:
Ezra

Post by Ezra »

That article is very true and its what I have always thought.We all have different circumstances,levels of income,different homes and skills.The important thing is to do what we can as individuals,for our families and within our own means.
We are doing something,and any preparations,however small,are better than doing nothing,and who knows,it may just give us that edge,that extra advantage,whether its a day,a week or a month in order to survive. :)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Plus the number one advantage in any sort of conflict is being on home ground . If you've always lived in a city and run for the hills ...what hell are you going to do in them ? :mrgreen: You're lost. At least if you stay at home where you belong, then you're on familiar territory.
I'm useless in cities. We lasted a MORNING in Dublin, which is the biggest city I've been in. Then ran for a bus to Galway :mrgreen: Even York was too much , that lasted a day :lol:
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

diamond lil wrote:Plus the number one advantage in any sort of conflict is being on home ground . If you've always lived in a city and run for the hills ...what hell are you going to do in them ? :mrgreen: You're lost. At least if you stay at home where you belong, then you're on familiar territory.
I'm useless in cities. We lasted a MORNING in Dublin, which is the biggest city I've been in. Then ran for a bus to Galway :mrgreen: Even York was too much , that lasted a day :lol:
I've been to New York a few times. TBH I don't think you'd like it! :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

But on the other hand I once saw a pic of the Falklands and immediately thought "HOME !!" - and everybody else said "my god what a bleak awful dump - there's nothing there !" I think I prefer land without things built on it :lol: