Living off the (electronic) grid

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Attack Warning Red

Re: Living off the (electronic) grid

Post by Attack Warning Red »

I have a personal website which I use for freelance work, which has my name and email address on it - and of course a quick WhoIs will show you where I live. But I'm ok with that, as it's used for my own business use, and not at all linked to my activities on this or other forums or anything else.

Some other secure tips:

1 - Check out your password strengths.

A while ago I (wrongly) thought someone had hacked one of my email accounts, and so I looked into secure passwords. Most passwords can be found using a 'brute force' attack - literally where a piece of hacker software tries every possible combination of letters, numbers and symbols. So, the longer, more complex password is stronger, and may take YEARS to be hacked by a piece of software.

Don't use dictionary words - these can be cracked in seconds, even foreign languages.
Don't use things that people may know about you - like birthdays, pet names, hobbies.
Do use a combination of letters and numbers, subst1tuting s0me letter5 with num3ers...
The LONGER the better.

It took a kick up the arse like the fear I'd been hacked to make me think seriously about passwords.

2 - Check out TrueCrypt - free file encryption software. Virtually impossible to hack, TrueCrypt creates a secure file container using 'military grade' encryption, for all your confidential files. Again, use long, complex passwords for these.

Very easy to use.

As it's a secure system, your file can ONLY be opened using your password. If you forget your password, no-one, not even TrueCrypt prgrammers can open it for you. That's how secure it is!

I use it for prepper docs on my USB stick and confidential documents at home, and I feel safe knowing they're protected.

But for God's sake remember your password... :)
itsybitsy

Re: Living off the (electronic) grid

Post by itsybitsy »

preppingsu wrote:For those whose jobs depend on it maybe its time to consider another skill that could earn you money if computers were not avaliable.
I have plenty of skills, but I have no desire to retrain from scratch to do a job that I'm not interested in and that probably earns a pittance 'just in case'...if every computer in the world goes down then I think we will have more things to worry about than earning money - I'll be too busy trying to get through the day. :D