Survival/Prepping Chemistry

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Mad Scientist

Re: Survival/Prepping Chemistry

Post by Mad Scientist »

I wish I had discovered this thread earlier! I'm a chemistry/biology lab technician so it's good to find other scientists. Did anyone see that episode of "Survive That!" In which one if them starts a fire with car de- icer and a sachet of "flower food" (primary ingredient pot permanganate) that comes with a bouquet of flowers. Another way is pressing "00" grade steel wool up to one of those square 9 v batteries. I always have a lighter in my handbag. Nice and easy!

Look forward to hearing more!
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Thermite is also quite easy to make and useful in an intense heat, melting things kind of way. You can always tell the people who got hold of a copy of the anarchist's cook book when they were young.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I love this! Best fire starter ever! I'm going to copy and paste this right now, thank you Tiercel!
birds&bees

Post by birds&bees »

I used to do this as a kid with my dad's atheletes foot treatment he mixed it with kerosene!

I'm too fond of my eye brows to try it again :roll:
bungee

Post by bungee »

Probably not a problem as I see you can buy potassium permanganate on tinterweb, but I tried to buy it from a chemists a few years ago. They flatly refused to sell it to me without a prescription. Like I said, I can see its available on net but are we legally allowed to purchase this in the UK? I dont fancy a knock on the door from the police because I've brought the wrong chemicals...
" those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
― Douglas Adams