Melting Metal

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Madsquad

Melting Metal

Post by Madsquad »

well the title explains what i am looking for :P i need some information in case SHTF i would like some info on how to melt metal to make sutff from mean i dont think a normal fire would get hot enough to melt it is there books on this kinda stuff?
Leo1

Re: Melting Metal

Post by Leo1 »

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

What sort of metals are you thinking of? Some like lead , pewter and zinc can be done successfully on an open fire. Wood will get hot enough for that although charcoal will produce less smoke and make the process easier.
Steel or iron is a completely different matter, charcoal or coke and a forced air blast at least but to be honest there should be enough steel lying about to enable you to make whatever you want by forge work. All those vans and lorries lying idle for lack of fuel can be scavenged for their leaf springs to make tools and so on.
Aluminium is normally melted with an electric currant although I recall a metal work teacher I had using a gas kiln to produce castings. best wait for someone clever than me to guide you on that one.
Madsquad

Post by Madsquad »

well i do lead all ready for my fishing weights thinking harder metal for making tools and so on be a good skill to have
Partimehero

Post by Partimehero »

In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity

http://blueprintsaferooms.co.uk
EddyU

Post by EddyU »

You can buy electric furnaces for £1800 upwards. Google "Vecstar" Sheffield based UK firm I have dealt with before. I'm sure they would fabricate a bespoke forge too if you wanted.