One second after by William r forstchen

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Wulfshead

Re: One second after by William r forstchen

Post by Wulfshead »

Thanks for this thread about this book.
My family prep as a group and have almost all areas covered, there are of course a few bits that will always need doing better though.
One thing that is a soul destroying thing for me is my wife's diabetes and seeing the book deals with a diabetic I hit the buy button on Amazon as soon as I read this thread.
I just spoke to her again and I am reliably informed she could make 6 months with the insulin she has but I am rather fond of the woman and would like a few more years together SHTF or not.

Thanks again,
Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Forgot about this thread, but I did buy it, I did read it, and I did enjoy it :D
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I read this too and thought it was a good read.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
greyman

Post by greyman »

Same here,good read..
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Finished the book in 3 days, could not put it down actually and sneaked every chance to dive back into it.
I think it's a 'must read' because it shows how quickly the 'norm' could easily be the 'gone'
I actually read the last 100 pages with a tear in my eye, I could read into it situations that wash up on my own family.
The book has got my prepping for comms protection and my wife's insulin protection stepped up and being prioritised though.
As I said that I head up my family and we all prep, I shall be circulating this book around my family from mother-in-law down to my son-in-law, and all people in-between.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
jansman

Post by jansman »

Wulfshead wrote:Thanks for this thread about this book.
My family prep as a group and have almost all areas covered, there are of course a few bits that will always need doing better though.
One thing that is a soul destroying thing for me is my wife's diabetes and seeing the book deals with a diabetic I hit the buy button on Amazon as soon as I read this thread.
I just spoke to her again and I am reliably informed she could make 6 months with the insulin she has but I am rather fond of the woman and would like a few more years together SHTF or not.

Thanks again,
Wulfshead
Indeed many preppers and survivalists speak as if they will survive alone. At the end of the day ( I sound like a football manager !) we have family. As much as I love my Daughters, my Wife comes first. The Girls have their their own fellas.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Just read the 2nd book, One Year After.

An interesting read about community and society rebuilding. Enjoyed it as a book, did I learn anything, not so much able t prepping but what happens after and I don't think you can predict that.

Also just finished 'Day of Wrath'by the same author about an attack by ISIS on American soil. Dramatic but not a great ending. Maybe there will be a second book.

However, both a good read.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Anyone got a copy they would like to share/pass on/swap?

I could offer Lovegrove's Untied Kingdom, or Crossley's There Falls No Shadow, in exchange.

Untied Kingdom is set in a disintegrating UK that is the subject of UN sanctions, and follows the adventures of a mild-mannered Everyman as he tries to get his wife back from the marauders who nabbed her. It's actually pretty funny, with The Book Club from Hell, and a post-SHTF riff on the daily train commute.

TFNS is a more standard TEOTWAWKI-novel, following a disparate bunch of plague survivors as they try to work together to be safe and healthy.