Looking for a book on UK freshwater fish

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Wolfdreamer

Looking for a book on UK freshwater fish

Post by Wolfdreamer »

Hi there. I live next to a river in the East of England and I'm trying to find a guide book on UK freshwater/river fish. Something from a survival viewpoint as the river would be one of my biggest resources if SHTF.

I'd ideally need something that gave detailed illustrated description of each species, their habitats, best bait/fishing method and, finally, whether they could be eaten if required. I've not had any luck so far so hoping you guys can help.
jansman

Re: Looking for a book on UK freshwater fish

Post by jansman »

There are a lot of books out there about UK fish/ ing.Take your pick. To be honest,the only way to learn ( before the event) is to get out and fish.I have fished all my life,and it is a practical,learned skill,and one that you never stop learning about.It's a bit like hunting mushrooms with a book in one hand and knife in the other!

Even with a lifetime of experience,I still have days where I catch nothing.If you are relying on fishing when shtf,then you need to learn now,as I can guarantee if you have only read about it before doing ,then yourchance of success is slim.

All freshwater fish are edible ( some more than others!), but be aware that most fisheries ( and 'your' river will be owned and controlled by someone,for sure), have VERY stringent rules about fish welfare, as Eastern European ' anglers' have been looting waters for the purpose of eating the fish these last 15 years.

I am always ready to encourage a new angler: it's a great sport! I would suggest a walk along the river,talk to anglers,watch,learn. YouTube is brilliant for that too,( I find new techniques there all the time), then get yourself to a tackle shop for kit and advice.You dont need tons of gear ( I very often fish with only rod,landing net and bits of tackle and bait in my fishing jacket). Rivers are very peculiar unto themselves.There will be local methods and baits that work on your river,which would be useless on mine.Oh yes,don't forget your rod licence from the Environment Agency.You dont want a £1500 fine.

Find a book, by all means,but be aware that angling is very much a ' hands on' learning curve.I will see if I can find a suitable link for you.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Here you go. :D https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-th ... rn-to-fish.

That should get you started.

A couple of years ago,I found myself being watched patiently by a young Asian couple at a local lake.After an hour they approached me and the chap started asking questions.He was really interested,and I gave him the same advice as I gave above.Unfortunately he had nobody in his social circle to ask.You rarely see Asians fishing,so I understood his dilemma.He took my advice on board,and now he is hooked! Forgive the pun. :D I see him now and again,and he is a very competent angler.His wife told me that the tackle shop is his second home! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Wolfdreamer

Post by Wolfdreamer »

That's great, thank you. :D

I do actually come from a fishing mad family (both freshwater and ocean) but not in this country (I'm not British) so, whilst I have a little bit of knowledge and experience in fishing, I'm completely unfamiliar with freshwater fish in the UK (or the Northern hemisphere in general). I'm aware of the strict fishing laws here, which is why I am having trouble finding out which fish would make the best eating . . . simply because it's generally illegal so that information isn't readily available. Of course if SHTF in a big way, all bets are off with fishing laws.

As to practice, I realise it's a highly skilled hobby and I'm super rusty so I definitely intend to start fishing again regularly. Being able to fish from my garden is a resource that would be insane to waste due to lack of skill/experience.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Shame on the rest of you for not flagging this gem. Apols Wolfdreamer, its an old much loved UK advert so give it a damn fine ignoring.
jansman

Post by jansman »

If you have fishing from your garden ,that is fantastic.I highlighted the legal side,because the Environment Agency are red hot on it.They always prosecute.

If society went belly up,I too would fish to eat.No doubt about that.Regarding edibility of UK freshwater fish: They all are.Right up until my early teens,it was not unusual for anglers to bring their river catch home.No doubt, the taste for freshwater fish has been lost.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Wolfdreamer

Post by Wolfdreamer »

Deeps wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:59 pmShame on the rest of you for not flagging this gem. Apols Wolfdreamer, its an old much loved UK advert so give it a damn fine ignoring.
haha love that. I was properly rooting for him by the end! :lol:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Wolfdreamer wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:18 pm
Deeps wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:59 pmShame on the rest of you for not flagging this gem. Apols Wolfdreamer, its an old much loved UK advert so give it a damn fine ignoring.
haha love that. I was properly rooting for him by the end! :lol:
The whole country was mate, there was even a spin off fishing book, no idea how good it is/was. Jansman or some others might know.

Can't help you on the fishing stuff myself, sorry mate.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! That was dry fly fishing...too rich for my blood! I always caught trout in the local brook with worms. :D A lot of eels too.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

River fishing, especially for species to eat, is more difficult than lake fishing.
There are methods, that myself and others use that are simple and fairly reliable.
From an edible fish standpoint, you're talking pike, perch, brown trout, river carp, eels. The smaller fish aren't worth it. Bream are said to take muddy but I've no idea what that means.
Personally I haven't and won't eat river carp, YET ! that's because they are more sporting than lake carp, which lb for lb don't match river carp for fight !.
You are allowed, under current law, to remove 14, course fish, including one pike, brown trout are included when in the course season June 16 to march 13.
Use barbed hooks, scale up and down to size of fish you're after. Pike fishing is slightly different and is another skill.
Worms, bread, corn and combination baits all work.
You can't catch what's not there, sounds obvious but is true. If you're fishing for perch roach, you'll know if I pike is in the area, because they'll follow your catch back to the bank and you'll get a few mystery bites of your catch.
That's when you switch to pike tackle.
Brown trout can only be found in certain areas of certain rivers, mills, Weirs etc, were there's fast flowing oxygenated water.
Carp are found all these days, carp fishermen have been introducing them all over for years but then again if you're fishing in an area they're not, you're not catching them.
Local knowledge is key here, local fishermen know what's in their river, know where to fish it and what bait to use and we're a friendly bunch and will share.

After things get difficult ? I'm not sure. That knowledge you need, you need now. Learn to fish, it can be cheap.or it can be silly money like most hobbies.

I split between river n lake fishing but my favourite is river fishing, it's more difficult when catching good fish. But we all like catching a jumbo carp the size of suitcase.

I keep my fishing cheap, there's a saying, 10% of fishermen catch 90% of fish, It's true ! I've had many fishermen getting annoyed, because I'm catching n they're not. It's a combination of knowledge of area, technique, bait, river condition and "feeling" for want of a better description.