Very Handy Medical Book.

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
diamond lil

Very Handy Medical Book.

Post by diamond lil »

"The Practice Of Aromatherapy: Classic Compendium of Plant Medicines and Their Healing Properties"
by Dr Jean Valnet (Author).

Look up this on Amazon, he was a pioneer of aromatherapy and treated war wounds during WW2 with plant and essential oils.
Arzosah

Re: Very Handy Medical Book.

Post by Arzosah »

That's very interesting, Lil - quite a few of the reviews mention the amount of research data he provides. This is one to buy with my next set of vouchers :) thanks.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I got a copy for pennies on amazon Arzosah ;)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm always reminded of this cartoon when I think of aromatherapy.....

No offence intended and no point to prove, it just tickles me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It's a good one :mrgreen: I used to be a therapist, I can still appreciate that :mrgreen: As to how helpful it is: every time someone says "lavender helps you sleep", or "steam your sinuses and put this stuff in the water", thats a level of aromatherapy. If push came to shove, well-researched things like that could be really helpful, and one good book is worth it's place on my bookshelf :)

Lil, not going to buy a 2nd hand one during flu season :oops: wimping on that; I was going to get a kindle version, but as a reference book, thats difficult. New copy fulfilled by Amazon for £9.22 fits nicely with my next voucher, I'll go for that.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

A lot of old remedies have a base in 'something' so I'm open minded on that front.

I tend to scoff at pretty much anything when people become evangelical about a subject, it just seems very egotistical to me. Not that I think that's what's happening with you and Lil. Hope you both enjoy it.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

People who are too over the top tend to push us to the opposite pole don't they. Nobody likes other people's views being shoved down their throats. I've never been deeply into this stuff but for a while I was into herbal medicine and E/Os have a place in that. I just like nice smelly stuff Deeps :mrgreen:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I loathe evangelism in all shapes and colours, can't bear it. So I never do it: the first internet acronym I learned was YMMV :mrgreen:

I tended to dismiss aromatheray until one holiday in Wharfedale, I was on my own in the meditation centre (oh god, I'm outing myself now, I'm as alternative as all get-out) and I dowsed over a whole set of remedies, and I got five that stood out. The next day, the practitioner recommended exactly those five to me. It was a little boggling.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Picking up the ball and running with it a bit, I was at a military physio (she was Norwegian working for the UK Forces) about my dodgy arthritic elbow and she asked if I was willing to try acupuncture. I was and assumed it would be at a latter session but no, she was firing the wee pins into me, while it didn't cure my arthritis (not that she was claiming it would) it did send me to sleep. I'm open to whatever works basically. Can you imagine people taking pills made from fungus to cure stuff ??? We call it antibiotics these days.....
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Not sure if im off topic here or not, but a few years back Mrs A had a very itchy / flaky scalp that wouldn't clear up despite what the doctors told her to buy and use. Ended up she went to a Chinese medicinal shop and came out with bag of what I can only describe as old leaves, twigs and other stuff that looked like I had swept it up in the garden. After some initial laughs and cynicism on my part (she had to sit with clingfilm wrapped round her head holding it all in place for two hours) it worked a treat. Two days later no scratching so you never know what will work.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"