Ship Captains Medical Guide

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Carrot Cruncher

Ship Captains Medical Guide

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Saw this link on another site and thought it well worth posting on here (i'm sure they wont mind :D )

You can download the book in pdf format from here http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga-seafarer ... _guide.htm
The Ship Captain's Medical Guide

The Ship Captain’s Medical Guide is intended primarily for use on ships where no doctor is carried and it is necessary for laymen to assess and treat injuries and to diagnose and treat ill health. The Guide can also be recommended for use in other situations where professional medical advice is not readily available, for example on expeditions.

For the 22nd edition the Guide has been comprehensively reviewed and updated. It contains a wide range of authoritative advice – from birth to death, from first aid, general nursing, hygiene and the prevention of disease, to the treatment of injuries and diseases. The recommended measures for prevention and treatment can be safely carried out by an intelligent layman.

Details of medical stores to be carried by UK ships are included in the current statutory Merchant Shipping Notice (and it's accompanying Corrigendum) issued under the Merchant Shipping and Fishing (Medical Stores) Regulations 1995 as amended.

The Merchant Shipping Notice also includes advice on the use, potential side effects and precautions associated with the medical stores and should be read in conjunction with the Guide.

The Guide is available for download in 15 parts using Acrobat PDF format, and can be dowloaded using the links listed below. Adobe Acrobat reader will be required to open these files
lisaloolibell

Re: Ship Captains Medical Guide

Post by lisaloolibell »

thanks for the link CC :)
allan

Post by allan »

Thanks another good book to print out. ;)
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Thanks for that CC...downloaded it, and will print it out for my survival binder (which I'm now finally starting!)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin