Survive The Savage Sea by Dougal Robertson

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
jansman

Survive The Savage Sea by Dougal Robertson

Post by jansman »

I have just re- read this book.It was my late Father's, who,like his dad, was a Naval man ( I was the letdown, only being a bootneck rather than a "proper" sailor!).It was a favourite story ( a true one),as he loved anything to do with the sea.

The story is basically the sea log of Dougal Robertson,whose family became confined to a 9' dinghy after their ship was sunk by a whale strike.It is the account of 38 days adrift,and their fight for survival in the Pacific Ocean. It is readily available from Amazon,used and new.

I won't spoil it,but one thing struck me about their situation; their needs were basic.Preppers tend to ruminate and stress about the latest gear,and try to cram the kitchen sink into the latest Uber Backpack! These guys needed a decent knife,water containers and cordage.

I found it a great read.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
tc556guy

Re: Survive The Savage Sea by Dougal Robertson

Post by tc556guy »

Never read the full book, but recall reading a condensed version of the story when I was younger.
That family went through a lot

Another one to read

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06182 ... LYP54JCU62
*My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*
sniper 55

Re: Survive The Savage Sea by Dougal Robertson

Post by sniper 55 »

Read it years ago. Really good book.