Is there's a book about....

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Deeps

Re: Is there's a book about....

Post by Deeps »

bobble wrote:Hi Happyhacker,
we saw it when it was on telly but i'm sure its probably on you tube now. Its about a small town in America called Jerico (Jericho?) and how the townsfolk all react after nukes airburst over north America. Their elecy goes off, the phones dont work, some motors stop working, planes crash and they see a mushroom cloud in the distance. As the main plot develops in the background, there are lots of sub plots showing how everything is affecting the different characters in the town. You see story lines for the mayor, the shopkeeper, farmer,etc and the pressures put on each of them as they try to "carry on as normal" even though "normal" has gone, for ever.
I think lack of information in this case would be a big deal, as how do you plan and re-establish a secure future and community if you dont know what really happened?
cheers bobble
I've got the DVD's and the 'graphic novels' (bloody comics, graphic novels :lol: ) that carry on the story when the TV show got binned. Another TV programme that shows the mundane stuff that would have to be dealt with as well as the more messy stuff is the old 70's Survivors. Its quite dated now but a lot of the situations they cover will still have a relevance in the unlikely event we end up in an excrement/whirly thing scenario.
metalgreymon

Post by metalgreymon »

I ordered the Alex Scarrow, 'Last Light' book. It arrived today so I'll start it soon...thanks for the recommendation.
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

Happyhacker wrote: You are prepping at home and the SHTF occurs. After some days and food is not available those who have not prepared start coming out of their homes looking for grub. Some will be polite knocking on the door to enquire if you have anything to share. Fine you may or may not be obliging (careful there!). Later people get more aggressive and dangerous situations are likely to occur.

Now by all means start a debate but has anyone read a book (fiction or otherwise) on this theme?
It's a fairly common theme in post apoc stories. There was one of this genre recently on-line involving a guy who faked his death and his wife carried on while the husband hid in their bunker under the house. They had to be careful about not eating too much compared to the neighbors, as well as how they disposed of their food waste and packaging materials.Can't think of the title of the book at the moment.
EMP Los Angeles bt Frank LaFlamme has it as an issue faced by some of the main characters.
I am sure if I looked over my post apoc fiction collection I could think of other examples.
*My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*
Happyhacker

Post by Happyhacker »

Tc556guy, don't see your point here. Why would the male fake his death? Re: your foot comment! Are you an "official" of this forum? Otherwise I can't see the point of it.
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

Happyhacker wrote:Tc556guy, don't see your point here. Why would the male fake his death? Re: your foot comment! Are you an "official" of this forum? Otherwise I can't see the point of it.
He was wanted by the authorities for something; he and his wife faked his death to avoid being picked up by the authorities.
I've been trying to recall the name of the story; it'll come back to me.

As for my signature line, long story there. The previous name I used on the internet and some of my comments got me in trouble back in 2004 with my employer. One of the claims they used against me was that I was commenting on-line as a representative of my employer by. using the screen name and discussing my work duties and my agency and the head of that agency. In the early days of the internet there weren't all of these social media policies that exist now, and I quite often would discuss the faults of my employer on various forums. When someone sent them an anonymous complaint about my screen name, they spent three days googling it and at my disciplinary hearing had a stack of print outs from every internet forum where I'd said something work-related. As an elected official he took offense to that, even though what I was saying was absolutely 100% the truth. I wound up with an unpaid month-long suspension over Christmas 2004 and a threat of immediate termination should I ever re-use that old screen name.

The sig line is used on any forum I post on regularly to avoid any possibility that they could ever resurrect that claim against me in the future. That particular supervisor was voted out of office a few years after my suspension, but given the reality of public sector employment, what goes around comes around and I might face another thin-skinned agency head who doesn't want his personal moral and ethical failures laid bare for the public to read. Some day when I am retired I'm guessing the sig line wont be needed, but til then it is what it is. Unlike most of the adult population I have no Facebook presence, and while I do post about my job occasionally, I try to stick to prep topics or more general topics that have little to do with my career field.
*My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*
jansman

Post by jansman »

metalgreymon wrote:I ordered the Alex Scarrow, 'Last Light' book. It arrived today so I'll start it soon...thanks for the recommendation.
When you have read that,read the sequel. Afterlight.Both books will stay with you.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.